• Register Today It's free!

need a cheap 2-3 inch lift kit

mike11743

Reaction score
City, State
pittsburgh pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
what is the cheapest and easist way to get a 2 or 3 inch lift on my 1995 explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TT and shackles......

tt & shacles will only net about 2" of lift... if more is desired the next option becomes a body lift..... or a full on $1500 4" suspension lift

anyone ever hear of using hockey pucks for a lift?

Yes...but they are weak and split. Get a body lift...a tt and shackes with alignment isn't much either :)

does anyone know how off your steering alignment is if you crank the torsion bolt to raise the front end?

PVC pipe body lift.

Sorry for being new here, I know what shackles are but what are TTs?

Torsion Twist. Tightening the torsion bars to gain around a 2" suspension lift.

Had I to do it again, I almost think I would've done the body lift first. All in all, it was cheaper, and prob'ly a bit less difficult then doing the rear springs. Oh yeah, I didn't do shackles, got new 2" lift OME rear springs. Worth every bit not to have those ugly shackles hanging down!

mike11743 said:
anyone ever hear of using hockey pucks for a lift?

I did a 2 inch lift on my S-10 many years ago by using automatic transmission accumulator valve covers. They are a little bigger than hockey pucks and made of aliminum. They are really strong and easy to drill. I got them free from a tranny shop. They were from old GM automatics and most shops should have a ton of them.

If you look at this picture http://hotrodders.com/forums/images/bulk/TH700-R4_1.jpg
the cover just under the "M" is what I am talking about. They get one every time they get a tranny core and they almost never need to be replaced, thus tons in the scrap bin.

Back