• Register Today It's free!

Need a little help well alot!!!

LJStiffler

Reaction score
City, State
Dayton Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ok here it goes.
My 2000 explorer 4.o ohv had a small intake gasket leak. mechanic friend and I changed the intake and valve cover gaskets. No issues what so ever. Fired up the motor had a miss in it. Had put in bran new plugs and ires since the plugs were exposed with the intake off. Decided to drive it to see how it would drive got about a mile down the road and bam the thing stopped running.

Checked for compression and spark/fuel no compression. Pulled truck back into garage pulled from of motor apart and bingo busted timing chain. OK now went got new chain and gear set, gasket set and oil and oil filter it was about 500 miles past due on that. Change the oil replace the timing chain and gears put every thing back together. Fire it up everything working perfectly. Friend and I happy clean up put tools away and head out of his garage. start heading to his house. Running down the high way oil pressure gauge after about 20 minutes starts to flutter uh oh. Call buddy he tells me to watch it and slow down. 2 more miles down the highway I get off to and when coming to a stop loose all oil pressure and motor dies. UH OH.. start it back up and head the last mile and half to his house. Turning into his driveway it dies again start it back up finish pulling in the drive way and oil pressure gauge reads 0 unless i give it fuel other problem motor now house horrible valve clatter.

Ok so it now has new intake and valve gaskets
New timing chain,gears,tensioner and gaskets
New oil , filter , plugs and wires.
I have alot less hair and no vehicle :(

Any one have any ideas? Motor only has 122k on it and had no problems what so ever until the intake gasket started leaking now it seems to be falling apart. Starting to wish I had just put stop leak in the dang thing instead of fixing it.

You might want to check the cam position sensor-
I think it has a brass gear which drives the oil pump. With a timing chain failure-you might also have a metal part clogging the oil pump.

wile you are in there, replace the oil sending unit also.

Thanks

Thanks I'll give that a try and will be back if it doesn't help lol.

Back