Need a tutorial on how to replace front bearings 1997 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need a tutorial on how to replace front bearings 1997 XLT

cpeters1965

Reaction score
City, State
Chapel Hill, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Good evening all,
I have been searching the forums to no avail, yet im sure it is here. I need a good thread with pictures on how to change the front bearings on a 1997 ford explorer xlt 4.0 x vin ohv. Does it have one set of bearings or 2 to a side. Im making myself lost and need a good tutorial. As always you guys are the best and have been helping me greatly. Need to replace both sides of front bearings

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly, get a haynes book. But esentially, you take off the tire, and brake rotor. So, take off the tire, then the circlip holding on a weird nut. Use your fingers to take off the nut, after that I believe you can pull the bearings/rotor. There might be more but I can't think about it right now. Oh! and take off the caliper before taking off the rotor, and don't let the caliper hang on the brake line, use a string or something to hold it.
And read about how to properly set a wheel bearing. You have to tighten that weird nut, then loosen it up so the bearing is spinning free, but not to much that the wheel has slop.

@Sean99, thank you. I have been looking at that thread but wasn't sure if it would apply to my 97.

@colintrax I DO have the manual thank you, there are time s though when reading how someone has done it is better and if they have better photos it makes it easier. I am very new to all this and come here to learn from the people here who ARE doing it and give me the tips a Haynes leaves out.

I am looking at hubs right now and they all seem to be for a 4 wheel drive. my explorer is a rear wheel drive does it make a difference? I want to buy the right parts the first time.

It shouldn't make a diffrence. I'm not feeling great right now, but I have a 97 2wd and from what I remember thats what your supposed to do. Its honestly really easy, just start pulling off the parts untill the bearing is off. You'r rotor is spinning on it, so get the rotor off. Should take an hour for both sides. BUT use good grease, and lots of it.
Oh, and no tips. Its pretty straight forward.

I just did this today to my left front. Here's a quick rundown of what to do:

-loosen lug nuts
-loosen axle nut (4wd only)
-jack up front of truck
-secure truck on jackstands
-remove wheel(s)
-if you don't have air tools, have someone apply the brakes and remove the axle nut (4wd only), or you can use a long bar between 2 of the lug studs to keep the hub from spinning
-remove brake caliper and secure to upper a-arm with a ty-wrap or something
-remove brake disc and set aside
-remove dust shield
-remove 3 bolts holding the bearing/hub to knuckle
-disconnect the ABS wire and its clamps from frame (ABS only)
-slide the bearing/hub out (this may remove some persuasion)
-installation is the reverse.

It's really pretty easy. I've replaced bearings on cars that required a lot more than this.

His is 2wd. I don't think it even requires that much. Pretty sure that bearing is under the rotor. No need to mess with the knuckle or abs.

The 4wd is a sealed hub and more $$$. The 2wd has bearings that you can replace.
Timken makes quality bearings.

...and RockAuto has the Timken's for the 4wd right now for $111 each, before discount.

So as mine is a RWD I would need to get the AWD hubs? Saving money is always good! :)
@SEAN99 Thank you for the reply
@Joedirt, when I see you replying I know I'll always get get good information! Thank you!

...and RockAuto has the Timken's for the 4wd right now for $111 each, before discount.

Umm, I really hope that's for the 4x4/sealed hub. The OP, I believe, has said his Explorer is 2wd, which would mean removable bearings in the rotor. (As I'm sure you know.)

So as mine is a RWD I would need to get the AWD hubs? Saving money is always good! :)
@Joedirt, when I see you replying I know I'll always get get good information! Thank you!

Wait, is your Explorer 2wd, or RWD (rear wheel drive), as you put it, or is it 4x4? Do you have a front differential/front driveshaft?

If yours is 2wd you need only bearings not the sealed hubs for 4x4 or awd.

Mine is a 2 wheel (rwd) drive explorer. If i just need bearings even better, my question then goes back to the start is there a good pic heavy tutorial on how to do this? I never have before so is ALL a learning process for me. Have the brains just not the knowledge yet.

To EVERYONE thank you for the replies so far! This is why I keep coming back to learn!

Yep- the 4x4/AWD hubs are the ones that are $111 at RA. Since yours is a 2WD, cpete, you only need bearings which are serviceable on your front hubs. :thumbsup:

I know the 4x4/AWD has a nice writeup, not sure on the 2WD though, maybe there is one for a Gen I, I would think it would be close...

Mine is a 2 wheel (rwd) drive explorer. If i just need bearings even better, my question then goes back to the start is there a good pic heavy tutorial on how to do this? I never have before so is ALL a learning process for me. Have the brains just not the knowledge yet.

To EVERYONE thank you for the replies so far! This is why I keep coming back to learn!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=260352&postcount=2

That's a quick written how-to. I would recommend going to your local auto parts store or bookstore and buying a Chilton and/or Haynes repair manual for your truck. They are a great reference tool to have, and lots of pics. It's a good idea to have both, as they will have slightly different information (What one covers, the other might not), but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the Haynes.

Also, you can go to www.alldatadiy.com , and get an online subscription to the same repair info/TSB's/etc that professional shops use.

I have a 2WD 97 Explorer and have replace the front bearings a couple of times. It is very easy - much easier than on any 4WD version. The wheel hub and brake rotor are a single unit. There are two wheel bearings, one in the front of the hub and one in the back. The back one is held in the hub with a replaceable seal; you will need a new seal. New parts required: front bearing, rear bearing, rear seal, cotter pin, wheel bearing grease. Only unique tool might be a socket big enough to fit wheel bearing nut - I don't remember exact size but we are talking 25-30MM. Sorry, but no pics.
DISASSEMBLY:
- Jack up front of car, place on jackstands, and remove tire.
- Remove brake caliper, pads and caliper mounting frame.
- Remove wheel nut cover (if so equipped).
- Remove cotter pin and metal castle cover.
- Remove large nut from end of spindle.
- Hub assembly will now side off the spindle; pull it out about an inch or two and then push back in - the outer bearing and large washer should now be sitting near the end of the spindle and you can slide them off.
- Pull the hub assembly off the spindle and lay it face down on a clean surface.
- Carefully pry out the rear seal; pull the rear bearing out of back of hub.
REASSEMBLY:
- Load up the new rear bearing with grease and lay in rear of hub; make sure taper points into hub.
- Carefully tap new rear seal in place.
- Slide hub assembly back on the spindle.
- Load new front bearing with grease and slide over end of spindle; make sure taper goes into hub.
- Replace flat washer against bearing; then put large nut back on.
- Tighten large nut down until snug, then back off just a hair; hub assembly should rotate freely but not have any side to side, up and down, or in and out play.
- Replace metal castle cover and cotter pin (can reuse old cotter pin if you have to and not broken).
- Replace wheel nut cover (if so equipped).
- Replace caliper mounting frame, brake pads and brake caliper.
- Replace tire.
- Do other side if necessary.
- Take off jackstands.
Drive on!!
Just a thought, but since the rotors are integrated with the hub, if the rotors need replacing then use a new hub assembley also.

Back