• Register Today It's free!

Need advice on code PO341

westfield

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
To make a long story short..I hope....I used to get the check engine light coming on but after I replaced cracked and loose vacuum hoses the CEL no longer comes on...Took the car in for some plugs last week and they checked codes and said my 94 ex needs a camshaft position sensor because of code
PO341....Now here is my dilemma...Explorer runs great and the check engine light does not come on at all...Could I have a bad camshaft position sensor even thought there is no CEL and car runs great ???? Thanks..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe that a 94 has a camshaft position sensor. It does have a crankshaft position sensor however. The camshaft position sensors are on the SOHC engines in 95 and newer, not the OHV 4.0 in earlier offerings.

94 does have a wired in cam sensor. All first gens have a drive unit-some 93 and all 94 have it wired in as a sensor also.

The gear can wear causing lack of drive to the oil pump.

I'm not saying yours is bad-but it might warrant another person's opinion.

Great advice ! Thank you...But as a follow-up, how come my check engine light no longer comes on ? Confusing..

My first question is if the codes were read correctly. P0xxx are OBD-2 codes, and your '94 is OBD-1/EEC-IV. Your '94 should be outputting simple three digit codes. Are you sure it has a '94 powertrain? Any chance someone has swapped in a newer powertrain?

EEC-IV 341 code points to the octane adjust pin circuit, and should have nothing to do with the CAMP sensor. In many cases, it's merely informational, and may not even indicate a problem.

At this point, I would suggest a second opinion. If you want to try pulling codes yourself, it isn't overly difficult, and can be done with nothing more expensive than a paperclip. See the stickies in the EEC-IV forum for test instructions.

my ex should be bone stock, Mr. Shorty... You are right, they should be three digit codes. I'll do the paper clip check myself....But so far the ex is runningjust fine, except for blown auto hubs...but that's another story,,,

Back