Need advice/options for P0401 EGR Insufficient Flow for 2005 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need advice/options for P0401 EGR Insufficient Flow for 2005 Ford Explorer

cogrep

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Ford Explorer with 78k miles. Bought it used about 4 years ago and over the past 2 yeasr have been using it very little, occasional long trips but maybe 50 miles in a normal month with only a couple of uses per month. Check engine light came on with code P0401 EGR Insufficient flow months ago. Now I need emissions inspection this month and it won't pass with this problem. Car is running fine so I actually don't care if it gets fixed (wrong approach?) but I absolutely need to pass emissions somehow.

I've tried to research on the internet and I was going to try to change the EGR valve to see if code would clear (I'm not good with cars but seemed straightforward), however I can't seem to get to the bolts given it's location at the back of the engine so that's a no-go. The shops around here want to charge $100+ just to diagnose it... if it's likely the EGR valve, I'd rather that $100 just go into the repair cost. So I've got lots of questions and need some solid adice....

(1) First, is there anything easy I can try to clear the code and pass emissions? Does the issue have anything to do with the car sitting for long periods without being used?
(2) Should I pay the $100+ to have a shop diagnose it? Is there a cheaper way to diagnose? Should I try to get them to change the EGR valve (undiagnosed) and just hope that's the issue?
(3) Shops want $250+ for EGR valve but multiple auto parts stores have it for less than $150. I can't help but feel cheated at the repair shops - advice?
(4) Other than emissions, what is the risk in not fixing this issue?

I had a 1996 Ford Explorer before this, drove it much more (almost daily). It had a similar code (may have been P0402) on and off for years, check engine light would come on for a few months, go off. Is this a common Ford problem or is there something about my driving habits causing this issue.

Much thanks in advance!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my 05 Explorer the fix was a simple as swapping out the DPFE sensor. $30 or so at AutoZone. Took all of 90 seconds to change out. Tutorials on Youtube.

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer with 78k miles. Bought it used about 4 years ago and over the past 2 yeasr have been using it very little, occasional long trips but maybe 50 miles in a normal month with only a couple of uses per month. Check engine light came on with code P0401 EGR Insufficient flow months ago. Now I need emissions inspection this month and it won't pass with this problem. Car is running fine so I actually don't care if it gets fixed (wrong approach?) but I absolutely need to pass emissions somehow.

I've tried to research on the internet and I was going to try to change the EGR valve to see if code would clear (I'm not good with cars but seemed straightforward), however I can't seem to get to the bolts given it's location at the back of the engine so that's a no-go. The shops around here want to charge $100+ just to diagnose it... if it's likely the EGR valve, I'd rather that $100 just go into the repair cost. So I've got lots of questions and need some solid adice....

(1) First, is there anything easy I can try to clear the code and pass emissions? Does the issue have anything to do with the car sitting for long periods without being used?
(2) Should I pay the $100+ to have a shop diagnose it? Is there a cheaper way to diagnose? Should I try to get them to change the EGR valve (undiagnosed) and just hope that's the issue?
(3) Shops want $250+ for EGR valve but multiple auto parts stores have it for less than $150. I can't help but feel cheated at the repair shops - advice?
(4) Other than emissions, what is the risk in not fixing this issue?

I had a 1996 Ford Explorer before this, drove it much more (almost daily). It had a similar code (may have been P0402) on and off for years, check engine light would come on for a few months, go off. Is this a common Ford problem or is there something about my driving habits causing this issue.

Much thanks in advance!!!!!

just replace the DFPE sensor, it's really cheap in Oreilly's ($36) or AutoZone. You could even do it in the parking lot. I used BWD and it has lifetime warranty..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...97613010.20512.110528882348605&type=3&theater

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

Yeah, the DPFE sensor is a common failure that will throw that code, just replace it, if that doesn't work, check your lines and clean the EGR. But I think that it'll work for you.

where is the DPFE sensor sensor on 2005 4.6 L engine?

Just did this job. Pretty easy. First losses the big nut with a 1 and 1/16 wrench, then Loosen the 2 10MM bolts with an extension . If you do it the other way around like I did it the first time you will fight with getting the nut off. I used to cans of carb cleaner. One for the EGR valve and another for the throttle body. I did this job in the shade without a lot of ventilation so consider running a box ban so you can get some fresh air or a P100 mask. Starting was a little difficult after I got everything back together form the leftover carb cleanerBut no codes where put out by the computer. Went for a test drive and got the engine up to 4000 RPM and nice and hot, no problems. Case closed.

I spoke too soon, the code came back.

The sensor on my 02 4.6 was on top of the rear center of the engine against the firewall. Fits into a rubber fitting that has two tubes that are attached to the main EGR pipe in two different locations. Changed mine last year before I sold the vehicle. I first checked the operation of the EGR valve by removing the throttle body. Had tried to first remove the EGR valve but could not get the pipe to loosen up. Changing the sensor fixed the problem.

Back