• Register Today It's free!

need amp/sub advice

Muddybuddy

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 5.0
ive got my all my wiring ready for an amp/sub, but i'd like some advice before i decide what to go with. id love to have 2 nice 12's or a single 15". my buddy has a 10" type R and alpine amp in his explore sport and its pretty nice, so i was considering type R's. what is everbody's thoughts about them? what about the 15" kicker L7? I listen to mix of rock, alternative, hip-hop/rap and like loud deep bass, but i'd like good sound quality at the same time. would i need to do any electrical upgrades in order to avoid issues with running a 12-15" sub? ive got a stock alternator and a red-top optima. thanks for the advice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hard to go wrong with Alpine. Two 12" type R's wired in series-parallel to give a 4 ohm load bridged should hit hard but give clean bass. Alternatively you could get a 2-ohm stable Alpine amp to match them and run each sub on one channel wired for 2 ohms each.

Kicker also makes good stuff, but you might find a single 15" to be slightly "boomier" than dual 12" Alpines. Some people do like how Kicker's sound, you'll have to listen to some installed setups of Kickers and Alpines with the same song to see what you think. 12's are a good middle of the road choice, they don't suck up space like 15's, and they're not kinda small like 10's.

You might be able to score a deal on two Type-R's with a box, every so often I see deals in stores and online with "buy one sub get one free". There's also places selling the 12's for less than their MSRP of $199 if you just want to get subs and have a custom box made.

You shouldn't need any upgrades, just make sure you get a good amp kit with the right size power and ground wires for the length they will be, with an inline fuse to protect the amp.

i'm gettin two 15" L7s... whenever money allows, that is :D

Man you cant go wrong with those puppies :D

They sound great and clean, then kick up the amp level on your headunit when your friend gets in, and burst his ear drums :D

Heres a vid of mine, running a super class d monoblock 1600w rms amp....They can handle so much more

They sound great and clean, then kick up the amp level on your headunit when your friend gets in, and burst his ear drums :D

Heres a vid of mine, running a super class d monoblock 1600w rms amp....They can handle so much more
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0pkd8_zxY2c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0pkd8_zxY2c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

what kind of box are you using? i assume you have a performance alternator and maybe a second battery?

what kind of box are you using? i assume you have a performance alternator and maybe a second battery?

HO alt and 2nd batt wont be required for that power level if you upgrade your big three wires under the hood to eliminate bottlenecks in the stock charging sytem. And assuming the stock alt and batt arent too tired of course. Upgrading the big three is the first thing you'd want to do when you get a setup in your truck.

The main thing you want to focus on is your enclosure for either the type Rs or the L7. That will make or break ur setup. Definitely do not be a prefabbed enclosure as that will kill ur output compared to what you could possibly have with an enclosure built by someone who knows what theyre doing. Explorers are one of the loudest vehicles in the world particularly the 2nd gen. If you get someone who knows what theyre doing for enclosure design they can make a normal small setup absolutely wang! PM me if ur interested in an enclosure or a design

As for comparing the two woofers..type Rs are far more durable. They have better voice coil cooling and larger voice coils than the L7. But the L7 will have a slight cone area advantage over 2 round 10s. Alpine will have a motor strength advantage aswell over the kicker but the kicker is a single woofer which will have less in box cancellation than dual woofer setup. Theyre pretty evenly matched all in all. Id get whatever is cheaper between the dual 4 ohm type Rs and a single dual 2 ohm kicker.

Hard to go wrong with Alpine. Two 12" type R's wired in series-parallel to give a 4 ohm load bridged should hit hard but give clean bass. Alternatively you could get a 2-ohm stable Alpine amp to match them and run each sub on one channel wired for 2 ohms each.

Kicker also makes good stuff, but you might find a single 15" to be slightly "boomier" than dual 12" Alpines. Some people do like how Kicker's sound, you'll have to listen to some installed setups of Kickers and Alpines with the same song to see what you think. 12's are a good middle of the road choice, they don't suck up space like 15's, and they're not kinda small like 10's.

You might be able to score a deal on two Type-R's with a box, every so often I see deals in stores and online with "buy one sub get one free". There's also places selling the 12's for less than their MSRP of $199 if you just want to get subs and have a custom box made.

You shouldn't need any upgrades, just make sure you get a good amp kit with the right size power and ground wires for the length they will be, with an inline fuse to protect the amp.

Your first statement is not fully true. The nominal load depends on the impedance of the drivers. Not all Type Rs are dual 4 ohm.

If you go on ebay you can usually get two Type R 12s around 100 dollars a piece. I used to have two Type R 12s and a single Type R 15. I loved them both.

Very good bang for your buck subwoofers. The 12s will take 1000 clean watts all day. Type R 15 will take 1200 watts. Underrated subwoofers.

thanks for the info, what are the 3 wires i need to upgrade? and what size should i upgrade to? for space reasons (and $$) i'd like to run a single sub, which was the main reason i was looking into a 15". ive seen people run the subs down to 1ohm, whats the advantage of that?

wagonized, what do you mean by motor strength? assume im talking 15" type R vs. 15" L7, so is the type R going to have a higher quality sound, while the L7 is just going to be louder? and i'm gona pm you bout a box design, thanks.

sounds great man... i'm hopin to get them by the end of the summer or whenever my extra scholarship money gets in haha... i'm excited :bounce:

which ever is louder depends on the enclosure...neither is better than the other.

thanks for the info, what are the 3 wires i need to upgrade? and what size should i upgrade to? for space reasons (and $$) i'd like to run a single sub, which was the main reason i was looking into a 15". ive seen people run the subs down to 1ohm, whats the advantage of that?

wagonized, what do you mean by motor strength? assume im talking 15" type R vs. 15" L7, so is the type R going to have a higher quality sound, while the L7 is just going to be louder? and i'm gona pm you bout a box design, thanks.

motor strength i was comparing was the single 15 L7 to dual type Rs. A stronger motor gives your sound wave more amplitude which should theoretically increase spl. Another major thing to consider is that neither the L7 nor the type R are reconable woofers. Meaning if you blow them up, its a complete replacement whereas a reconable woofer usually costs $100 and a very simple reconing procedure and ur back in business.

Its hard to say which will be louder and which will have better SQ bc it all depends on the enclosure. But id say the type Rs have the ability to sound better than the L7. However most people rely so heavily on the SQ of a woofer when they never really need an all out SQ woofer at all, they just need a solid durable woofer that will play daily and a good enclosure that will allow the woofer to play properly and thus produce good SQ.

Ill reply tomorrow to the pm in a hurry atm...

also, what amp should i run to power one of these puppies?

also, how would i take all the lows and have them directed to the sub, so that only the mids and highs are from the speakers? that way i could turn the stereo up louder w/o the speakers struggling to give bass.

Back