Looking for New 12" Sub Suggestions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for New 12" Sub Suggestions?

ions

Reaction score
City, State
Pasadena, MD / Annapolis , MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
Well i'm ditching my 10" box and wanna get a 12" box and have been looking for a good sub at/under $200 and i need it for rock/metal and alittle rap also here are what I've been looking at.

Kicker L7 2ohm in a 3.25 Cu. Ft Slot Ported Box - $190
MA Audio MA112B 12" Single Bass Box - $60
Kicker CVR 12" 4ohm in Sealed Box - $107
Alpine SWX 1242 12" No Box - $150
Infinity Kappa Perfect 12D VQ - $170
JL Audio 12w3v2-D4 in Box - $200

Anyone wanna throw out some suggestions I'm open. I have an 800 watt RMS Bridged amp @ a 4ohm load if that helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RE SE 12" will run you under $200 for the sub, but do you want to spend only $200 for the sub and box together?

If I can yes, if I can't than no I'm more than willing to build a box or buy one for it.

Wagonized said:
RE Se will destroy an IDMAX in SPL...and probably come damn close in SQ

ive put up an SE 12" vs a rockford fosgate HE2 12", the HE2 was louder BY FAR lol. The SE is no doubt an excellent sub but its SQ performance outweighs its potential SPL performance IMO.

An Incriminator Audio LI 12" was up almost 4dB on the SE and the HE2 was a little over 1 down on the LI. This was all done in the same box, so it is another possibility that a different box for each sub would change things up by alot. Drop in tests arent always the most accurate thing.

SE 12" on a crossfire VR1000D - 141.6
RF HE2 12" same amp - 144.1
IA LI 12" same amp - 145.2

all were dual 4 ohm subs wired to 2 ohms.

TeamPwnageBrad said:
ive put up an SE 12" vs a rockford fosgate HE2 12", the HE2 was louder BY FAR lol. The SE is no doubt an excellent sub but its SQ performance outweighs its potential SPL performance IMO.

An Incriminator Audio LI 12" was up almost 4dB on the SE and the HE2 was a little over 1 down on the LI. This was all done in the same box, so it is another possibility that a different box for each sub would change things up by alot. Drop in tests arent always the most accurate thing.

SE 12" on a crossfire VR1000D - 141.6
RF HE2 12" same amp - 144.1
IA LI 12" same amp - 145.2

all were dual 4 ohm subs wired to 2 ohms.

my bad i was thinking of the SX's

I've got an Infinity Kappa 10.1d, and i love that thing, The VQ is supposed to be even better. If you're just looking for a sub to sound good with your music and don't plan on doing all those competitions and crap, its a great sub. But then again so are the L7s and the Type X Alpine(though it might be a bit too much).

In all truth, the L7 in a box for that price is a hell of a deal. They usually go for way more than that on ebay, not in a box. Personally, I'd go for that one.

No comps or anything just some nice bass for a good price. I can get the L7 for $100 shipped and a box for $58 shipped (to kicker specs for said box) so around $158 for a new L7 with a box seems like a good deal? and i know i have a pretty crappy amp (BOSS amp) but it has powered my 10" kicker very well so i believe it should power this sub pretty well also.

ions said:
No comps or anything just some nice bass for a good price. I can get the L7 for $100 shipped and a box for $58 shipped (to kicker specs for said box) so around $158 for a new L7 with a box seems like a good deal? and i know i have a pretty crappy amp (BOSS amp) but it has powered my 10" kicker very well so i believe it should power this sub pretty well also.
stick with the L7 then for that price they're pretty durable subs.

be careful with your gains though, im sure that amp probably puts out some dirty power at higher gain levels

Its a boss riot 1045 2 channel amp here are some specs.

RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 300W x 2
THD at 4-Ohm RMS Power: 0.01 %
Bridged RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 800W x 1
Speaker Level Inputs: Yes
Preamp Outputs: No
Built-In Crossovers: HP/LP
Bass Boost: 0 or 18 dB
Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio: >105 dB

should I be looking at getting another amp for the L7 or should this do fine? I picked it up new locally for $35 (probably stolen ha) at a flea market.

that is not a very good amp, you should probably look into something that actually does what it is rated at

you'd be surprised in the difference 800 watts from a boss amp and 800 watts from a quality amp makes.

JBL is a good solid starter amp on budget IMO

i design subwoofers and speakers semi-professionally. for money, adire audio's shiva, and its clone from partexpress DAYTON TITANIC MKIII, will destroy any of the subs mentioned above, seriously. it isn't chromed or polished, and it doesn't have fancy red letters or other visuals, but its sound crackles the walls, while being pristine clean.

build your own box, it's easy, there are plenty of designs online.

the driver is sold here:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-404

I'm very happy with Diamond Audio subs...

For the price... it's the best bang for the buck out there IMO.

poul said:
i design subwoofers and speakers semi-professionally. for money, adire audio's shiva, and its clone from partexpress DAYTON TITANIC MKIII, will destroy any of the subs mentioned above, seriously. it isn't chromed or polished, and it doesn't have fancy red letters or other visuals, but its sound crackles the walls, while being pristine clean.

the driver is sold here:

the 2 subs dont even have the same size voice coil. The shiva uses a stamped steel basket with different dimensions than the 12 spoke venz that the dayton uses. The parameters are all different. They are NOT clones of each other...

poul said:

the driver is sold here:
i used to have an adire tempest back in high school (shivas big brother) and it played extremely low and loud. however that was back when the price of them was $140 USD now they've gone up $100ish i think. For the current price id rather have an L7.

TeamPwnageBrad said:
the 2 subs dont even have the same size voice coil. The shiva uses a stamped steel basket with different dimensions than the 12 spoke venz that the dayton uses. The parameters are all different. They are NOT clones of each other...
try to talk with adireaudio folks about that, hehe.
the cloning is of the mecnanism of extremely high xmax; everything else is dialed-up parameters, cost saving measures and bling-bling.

anyway, my point is that shiva and dayton are two best deals for 12" subs today.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

poul said:
try to talk with adireaudio folks about that, hehe.
the cloning is of the mecnanism of extremely high xmax; everything else is dialed-up parameters, cost saving measures and bling-bling.

anyway, my point is that shiva and dayton are two best deals for 12" subs today.
bang for the buck REs RE series is pretty damn good too.

Back