• Register Today It's free!

Need help 03 expo 4.6 high idle

gforceman

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia beach VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 limited 4.6 V8
ok , engine was running the hose going to the IAC fell off causing engine to race reconnected the hose now the idle wont go below 1500 rpm, i checked the IAC valve and its good with a meter and 12volts , the wire conneted to the IAC shows 12v even when engine hot , thought that was used when motor was cold .

also : as for the IAC vavle i removed it to inspect it , i was ablr to move the soleniod freely , before i reinstalled the valve i pushed the plunger foward closing off any vacuum from entering the TB ( since engine is already hot ) started motor ran ok idle normal ,, when i reconnect the wire for the IAC the rpm would go up to 1500rpm and stay there maybe drop a little but still high.

so why would rpm go up when reconnecting the wire for the iac since engine is already hot

thx for any input

Sounds like the iac is stuck. You can try cleaning it and tapping on it with something lightly. If the idle goes down I would replace the iac because it will stick again.

i removed it and bench tested it , it pulls in but the internal spring doesnt push it all the way back out leaving it wide open , i thought the vaccume pulls out all the way out slowly , when reconnecting the pwer wire will pull it back out but wont idle also why removing the IAC hose cause this problem it was fine before no problems ,,

You might have a vacuum leak somewhere else or just a coincindence with sticky iac.

Back