Need Help 94 XLT overheating problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help 94 XLT overheating problem

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall reading that you're losing coolant. Are you? Could be a gauge, sender or electrical wiring issue.

As for the fan clutch, to remove it you need to be able to hold the pulley in place while turning the big nut. There are pully holders that you can rent. Basically it's a long arm with holes that line up with the pulley bolts. You hold the pulley in place and loosen the nut.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall reading that you're losing coolant. Are you? Could be a gauge, sender or electrical wiring issue.

As for the fan clutch, to remove it you need to be able to hold the pulley in place while turning the big nut. There are pully holders that you can rent. Basically it's a long arm with holes that line up with the pulley bolts. You hold the pulley in place and loosen the nut.

Yes, I was losing coolant and the radiator was pressurized ( if that makes sense) It still might be a head gasket before it's over... But the fan clutch was really gummed up and funky. I think that it was defiantly gone.

I was able to loan a tool kit from Advance Auto... it workes like a charm.So far I have the fan clutch & fan + the water pump off. I will clean to make sure I get a good surface for replacing the pump...then I'm gonna load up the new parts.

I will try this and see if it works. If not then I'll know for sure that I have to deal with the heads.

sorry double post..

Please delete this one, thanks.

those 4 little bolts hold the clutch to the fan.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The run down of what all I replaced:

• thermostat
  • water pump
  • fan clutch
  • fan
  • battery

About $200+/- into the ole girl to get her back up and running well.

I got up at 6:00am and was working hard until 10:00. I had to go get a new battery as teh old one was kaput. I got back and fired the old girl up and took it around the block. It started running hot. I was a bit aggrivated. I let it cool down and topped off the radiator again. seems I didn't remember to let the coolant circulate thru the engine well before the test ride.

Well I went driving thru the neighborhood with the AC on max and driving slowly. It's stayed cool. So I took it into town. It's running cool and great. :thumbsup:

I wanna say a big thank you to everyone for your help. Now I'll just change the oil and put some new wipers on and it'll be great.:exp:

Just out of curiosity...how long did it take you to replace the water pump? Mine's leakin and I'm gonna have to replace it soon, but with everything in the way down there...I wonder how long it will take.

Just out of curiosity...how long did it take you to replace the water pump? Mine's leakin and I'm gonna have to replace it soon, but with everything in the way down there...I wonder how long it will take.

The water pump on these trucks is one of the easiest and quickest to replace from trucks of this time period. It took me about 2 hours to do mine (filling and warmup included) . I had 5 beers before I started which slowed me down, but I had access to some good tools and that helped a lot. This should be about the same ballpark of time for someone with some but limited auto repair experience and some basic tools and no beer.

In any case, it should easily be something you can do in an afternoon, but not on a lunch break. Availability of tools makes a difference especially for R&I of the fan clutch and also for gasket scraping.

As the fan clutch goes, using a vise-grip, a deep socket on a long extension, and a prybar is very slow and difficult. A Ford fan clutch wrench set is much easier and quicker but can lead to scraped knuckles. A fan clutch tool that attaches to a pneumatic hammer is insanely wonderful allowing removal or installation of the fan clutch in seconds but not likely worth the investment for one-time use..

For gasket scraping, a screwdriver or scraper, a razor blade and some fine sandpaper will work, but it could easily take over an hour to clean your old gasket material off. If you have access to a mini sander you can cut that down to 2 to 5 minutes. Chemical gasket removers are another option but they scare me so I don't know how much tine they take to work.

It took me a longer time than 2 hours. I worked on it acouple of hours each nite after work getting it off slowly. I scraped, and replaced the parts in about 3 hours. But then again, I'm not a mechanical person and have never done much working on cars. It can easily be done in a day. I would also suggest getting the fan clutch wrench. It really made the fan clutch removable easier.

Back