• Register Today It's free!

Need help ASAP!!

I Bleed Blue

Reaction score
City, State
NorCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 5.0 2wd LSD
So today I was leaving from class to head home and noticed that all of a sudden my explorer started running really crappy when pulling off the line from stop lights and signs. Since mine is very cold blooded and the motor was cold I didnt think much of it because it normally doesnt run awesome when its cold. So I figured it would just clear up as normal once the engine gets to temp... well I was wrong. Cruising down the highway I didnt notice anything since it was flat, until I had to climb the grade to get back into my town. Normally I can cruise up it no problem, but today I had to hold my foot to the carpet in 4th just to get over and I noticed surges and a lack of response. So instead of cruising the rest of the highway to my normal offramp I took the next closest one. Once I got off and went to leave the stop sign, I had to ride the clutch and rev it a bunch to get it to roll off and pull enough so I could shift. It was missing, backfiring, stalling and it just wasnt a pretty sight. (and having a "lack of exhaust" amplifies everything!! yeehaw) :frustrate So I pulled over (about 2 miles from my house) and took a listen. First thought was maybe i lost a coil or something was unplugged. Everything was plugged in, no hole in the side of the block or anything like that so decided to try and limp it home. Well I live in a town where if you go somewhere, its uphill both ways, so I had a lot of climbing ahead of me. :thumbdwn: After limping it to the bottom of my hill and taking a running start for it and embarrassing myself in front of the construction workers who were probably placing bets on if I would make it up the hill or not, I got it in front of my house and parked it. :dunno: So here is where I come to you guys!!! I now believe that I have skipped a tooth on my timing because I am not getting any codes so it must be mechanical and thats all I can think of. (Especially since I have almost 200k on the motor and I would be willing to bet its never been done.) Where abouts can I find my cam profile sensor on my motor? and how complicated is it to change the timing set on these 4.0s? (Ive done them on 5.0s and I'm guessing its about the same ordeal)

Any help is highly appreciated!!! thanks in advance!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, the timing chain is pretty stout, it's very unlikely that's the issue.

Sounds like it could just be a bad fuel pump, or even a clogged fuel filter that's never been changed.

I dont have a way of checking pressure but i just replaced the pump/sending unit and filter a couple months ago. I may go get another filter to throw in and try that since theyre cheap

Filter, fuel injectors maybe. Could be you got a bad pump when you changed it, too. I would say try some gas treatment. Rislone has a pretty good one. Try to run gas without ethanol for a tank or two and see if it improves.

Filter, fuel injectors maybe. Could be you got a bad pump when you changed it, too. I would say try some gas treatment. Rislone has a pretty good one. Try to run gas without ethanol for a tank or two and see if it improves.

Well I cant even drive it is the thing and it doesnt really even like to idle. I changed the filter earlier and no luck there so not sure really what to try next:(

I forgot! Check your vacuum lines. That can cause a lot of issues including rough idling and loss of power.

Yea I bet a cap came off the vacuum tree.not all the nipples have lines attached, some have a cap..

That or you burt your valves or rings up from ""HAVING NO EXHAUST""its not a dragster or built to run open exhaust. .
:nono::nono::crazy::crazy:

Yea I bet a cap came off the vacuum tree.not all the nipples have lines attached, some have a cap..

That or you burt your valves or rings up from ""HAVING NO EXHAUST""its not a dragster or built to run open exhaust. .
:nono::nono::crazy::crazy:

well by no exhaust i meant straight piped to a single chamber that dumps before the rear axle.

I checked and its not vacuum, changed out the coil pack and that did nothing. My buddy seems to think it might be an injector stuck open possibly.

Put a screwdriver on each one and put it up to your ear, if it ticks its working.atleast half way..lol

just checked all of my plugs, none of them appeared to be fouled and they werent wet (getting to much fuel)

Back