Mojave, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4
As far as I can tell this is what my cel is saying:

1-1-1-1-1-1------1-2-1-4-2-1-4

what does this mean?

video of cel giving code here

btw its a 94 xlt 4x4 4.0 automatic
I did put new plugs a wires in a few months ago. Could a crossed plug wire cause this? Sometimes when starting it cold the engine sounds like it misfires, shakes, Then I just hit the gas once and its gone for the rest of the day. While driving engine feels smooth and strong. Gas milage dropped a bit. Any suggestions would be great.

Also got code 538 with the engine run test

KOEO 111 means it passed the KOEO test.

1 is a separator pulse separating the KOEO codes from the CM codes

CM214 indicates an error in the Cylinder ID (CID) signal.

KOER 538 is almost always operator error, meaning you neglected to perform the "goose" test at the appropriate time.

If you haven't yet, you might want to review my notes on pulling EEC-IV codes and BrooklynBays EEC-IV 2 and 3 digit trouble code posts in the EEC-IV forum.

I'm not real good with the specifics of diagnosing a CM 214, as your '94 with SEFI is a little different from my '92. In your case, I think CID is generated by the CMP sensor, but I'm not certain of that. Because the engine runs, your fault might also be intermittent. If you clear CM, does the CM214 return immediately?

I dont know. Havent cleared any codes yet. But driving short distance 5-10 miles the cel stays on. Long distance say 200+ miles the light goes off and on id say every other 30-40 miles. May stay on for about 5 miles then go off for 30-40. Once in a while on a cold morning when I start the engine at idle it sputters like it has a dead cylinder, I just blip the throttle and its gone, the idling clears up and is fine the rest of the day.

Im gonna check in the morning to see if I have any plug wires crossed, I recently changed the plugs and wires. Also there is an issue with my brake calipers, ever other week or so I have to take a hammer and tap the guide pins that hold the caliper to the bracket. They back out about and inch and a half. I lubed them up real good and they still come out. Think I may have to get new pins.

I read on other forums that the 214 code could be either from the crank position sensor or the cam sensor. Im hoping it isnt the cam sensor, heard it was a nightmare to repair. So Im just going to clean all the electrical contacts and erase the codes to see if that solves anything

Back