Need help deciding, gears or tuner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help deciding, gears or tuner

Reaction score
City, State
south carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
Hey, as you may already know i have a 2001 explorer sport 4.0 sohc with 325/60/r18 tires and 18x9 rims,and 3.73 gears (stock), an intake and exhaust. i have been trying to decide on which gear setup would be right, i finally decided on 4.56 gears. Now i am wondering which would be a better mod, either the gears or an SCT X3 tuner? I am trying to get rid of a little of the sluggish feeling,and get the power back that i used to have. PLEASE HELP!!

p.s it isnt lacking too much power just a little, trying to get rolling from a dead stop.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gears

4.56 huh. sounds a little steep. What do you plan to do with your X? 4.56 sounds a little steep for road use. I see you are running 33.5 inch tires. More details would be nice... 4.10s should be good.

i plan on just driving it, u know, occasionally interstate no offroading or anything, and sometimes i will pull a small trailer with it but thats pretty much it

Do not waste your money on 4.10's. There is hardly any difference from a 3.73 gear, and you will still be geared taller than stock overall with 4.10's.
You are right going for 4.56 gears, atleast. I was running 4.88's on 33's (more like 32.5"), worked well but revs were a little high on the highway. 4.56 gears will work well.
Having said that, get the gears now, tuner later. I re-geared my sport trac and had an xcal 2. The tuner was nice but it does nothing to help with being under-geared. Gearing will get your truck back in the proper power range and help get you going from a stop.

Back