Need help deciding. Its a tire thread. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help deciding. Its a tire thread.

Chopper21

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 EX - EB
So I've been looking around at tires for the past week or so. I drive a 2003 Ford EX EB v6. No lift. I think ill be able to fit 265/65/17 in there with no rubbing, however I am having issues selecting a tire and was wondering if you guys had any input. I've narrowed it down to 3 tires so far. However if theres some awesome bang for your buck AT tire out there that I've missed I do welcome any input, that includes size recommendations, I currently run Falken Rocky Mountain AT's at 245/65/17 - stock size.

Hankook DynaPro ATM

Nitto Terra Grappler AT

General Grabber AT2

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suggest a 265/70/17 on the stock wheels first. If you go to the 3rd Gen pic thread in this forum you'll see that's the size choice for quite a few members with stock (no lift) trucks and that size looks great and drives correct.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243184 (go to the bottom of page 245....second to last....and you'll see a stock Ex with these sized wheels/tires mentioned)

Secondly, I would choose the Terra Grapplers just from personal experience. Great overall AT tire with lots of wear life and good in all terrains, just as the name suggests. I've also heard really great things about the General Grabber AT's as well, another awesome all around tire. In my first lifted Ex in my sig, I ran 285/75/16 Terra Grapplers and absolutely loved them. I used them in sand (on the beach....4x4 necessary), mud, snow and of course pavement. The tires performed very well and wore slowly. After 5k miles of driving they could still pass as new....

:salute:

You might also consider the Treadwright Warden in 265/75/16. I ran a set of their Guard Dogs on my last truck and was very happy with them. They are actually a true 32" diameter tire compared to many 265/75 which are a little smaller. Basically they are a BFG AT knockoff.

Plus you can't beat the price for the Wardens, only $113 per tire (without shipping). Customer service at Treadwright has been very positive from the people I've talked to who needed it.

If you are going to buy tires from discount tires/ americas tires go to onlinetires.com and look up your tires. They will price match your tires and they are much cheaper that way.
Terra Grapplers...144.55
Hankook...141.43
General Grabbers AT2...147.00
As far as input on which tire ive heard a lot of good things about the Nittos.

General is the only tire brand I have ran on my Explorer, and I have nothing but positive things to say about them. The AT2 is a great tire with very good tread wear, and the price is hard to beat. So this being said... Get the General AT2's 265/75/16, you wont be disappointed. ;)

Thank you all so much for the input. I'm going to do a littile more pricing and research, but it seems that I am now between the nitto and the general. However the size still concerns me because on this forum i see alot of people that do not have issue with 265/75/R17 or 265/70. However elsewhere I've seen people have issues with that size especially with the beefy treads.

Got those Hankooks on my truck.....will not buy them again. Might as well be car tires in the snow....

The hankooks have worked out great for me in snow...

go on amazon.com sounds weird but they have some REALLY nice tires on there. i saw some 32" tires that were about $20 cheaper than the 31's i was originally going to get... just an idea

You might also consider the Treadwright Warden in 265/75/16. I ran a set of their Guard Dogs on my last truck and was very happy with them. They are actually a true 32" diameter tire compared to many 265/75 which are a little smaller. Basically they are a BFG AT knockoff.

Plus you can't beat the price for the Wardens, only $113 per tire (without shipping). Customer service at Treadwright has been very positive from the people I've talked to who needed it.

Will a true 32" tire fit without rubbing?

I don't want to, nor do I plan on lifting the truck. That's why I'm hesitent to push those limits with the tire size. I hear mixed stories about maxing out the tires with no rubbing in a stock w/ no lift, both good and bad. So idk what to do when it comes to the size now. lol

I don't want to, nor do I plan on lifting the truck. That's why I'm hesitent to push those limits with the tire size. I hear mixed stories about maxing out the tires with no rubbing in a stock w/ no lift, both good and bad. So idk what to do when it comes to the size now. lol

So run the stock tire size with those brands/models you described :burnout:

Depends on the wheel. Stock wheels I don't know. 4.5" backspace wheels, it will rub a bit. Some fenderwell trimming or 1.5" body lift will fix that easily though.

Thanks. I have stock wheels now. Might be a good excuse for the lift though!

As someone stated try treadwright, i also put a set of 285/75r16 Guard Dog on my explorer, four tires with shipping cost me six hundred bucks.

They aren't on your list but I highly recommend the cooper AT3, I have them on my 02 4x4. They are very quiet on road and excellent in snow, I use the truck in upper Michigan and with the winter we have had they truly got tested, I am very happy with them.

I have the grabbers, I love those things, and I highly recommend them!
-7C6B-4E79-80F0-A4E00A8EFBDD-9992-00000D172A07E3A9.jpg

F6-1099A00DED59-10963-000009DCB30674E7_zps23ef7fb0.jpg

havent been stuck yet!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ive got cooper discoverer at3 tires on my ex and i love em. they have proved themselves in mud and snow

Back