• Register Today It's free!

Need help on blown speaker???

victorye3

Reaction score
City, State
Tulare, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I have a 93 XLT with the factory JBL speakers and amp but a 40Wx4 JVC head unit. And I guess putting that head unit in had a lot more power than the factory and it blew my rear speaker were my amp is located. I need to know what size speaker that is and if I can just replace it with one with more watts without replacing the amp?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

which rear speaker? The sub or one in the backseat.

When you installed your new head unit, you should have bypassed the stock amp; dunno if you did or not. You blew a door speaker? The size is 5x7/6x8. If you're gonna replace it, I'd go ahead and replace all 4. Make sure the stock amp is bypassed, and you'll be amazed at the sound difference over the stock speakers.

when i had it installed they did bypass it. the one that blew was the very rear one not the door speakers.

Oh, the sub. I think it's an 6.5". You might wanna go ahead and bypass that amp also. Get a new sub amp and sub. I know it's more expensive than just getting a new sub, but the stock amp sucks!

Stock audio specs are in the "sticky" thread at the top of the audio forum.

yah i found it its a 6 in. could i put a big size speaker in the place it is located now. what kind of amp and speaker do you recomend.

if you are going to get a new one in the same location consider seriously getting the stealth box. (many threads on that one)

What is a "stealth box"? What speakers and amp should i get for not a lot of money?

the stealth box replaces the factory sub location. You won't notice a change in appearance for the rear of your explorer but the sound difference will be tremendous. If you don't want the bass and just want clear sound consider replacing the factory 5X7s and just junking the sub.

Just my opinion. There are plenty out here much smarter on this than I.

Back