• Register Today It's free!

Need Help! Possible tranny issue?

gsx220

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V8
i know this is a double post i put it in the 95 stock section also but im pretty desperate at the moment...

i have a 95 XLT 4wd ohv v6 explorer, i was driving down the highway everything shifting great no noises or anything like that, got off the highway stopped at a red light and when it turned green engine revs explorer goes no where i tried putting it in all gears (auto tranny) and goes no where, it will move slightly at higher revs i got it into a parking lot maybe 30 feet away by putting it in 4w low and it barely moved got there and wouldnt move anymore.

update: forgot to mention at one point when i tried to put it into park it made the sound like it would make if you were moving and put a car into park but i wasn't moving it did that once and not again...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

update: forgot to mention at one point when i tried to put it into park it made the sound like it would make if you were moving and put a car into park but i wasn't moving it did that once and not again...

This means that the problem will be with the transfer case or the rear differential.

Put it back in 2wd and put it in gear, if the rear drive shaft is turning the rear differential has a problem, if the rear drive shaft is not turning the transfer case has a problem.

I bet it will be the transfer case.

thanks for the reply i will check that (im super happy its a chance its not the trans i really cant afford to replace that)

JK i went out and checked and theres no drive shaft movement in any gear.

Park hold?

what do you mean?

If you put it in park will the vehicle roll?

If it will roll and not hold in park the transfer case is disengaged, if it will hold in park you could have a tranny issue.

went out and checked it holds park only rolls a few inches each direction, also forgot to mention after this first happened it started running slightly rough while in park.

This is starting to look more like a trans problem.

Need to make sure the fluid is full, obviously.

The pump could have failed, quick way to rule that out is to compare fluid levels with the engine off and running. The level should be high on the stick with the engine off and drop to normal level when running. If the fluid level did not drop with the engine running, the pump isn't working.

JK i checked today the level does drop with the engine running, also i can feel the gears engaging when i go from park to reverse ect ect.

JK i checked today the level does drop with the engine running, also i can feel the gears engaging when i go from park to reverse ect ect.

Thats good.

So the vehicle doesn't move at all, forward or reverse, the fluid level drops with engine running, park holds, fluid is full.

Will it move if the transfer case is in 4Hi or 4Low?

Will it move when trans is in manual low?

Fluid smell burnt?

fluid smells a little burnt , it moves if you rev the engine but just barely =, it moved in 4wd low originally thats how i got off the road into a parking lot like 30 or 40 feet but it wouldn't anymore after that.

Man its really pointing at a transmission issue, sorry.

I am pulling my own trans out of my F250 today, damn transmissions! :roll:

damn this sucks how much does a rebuild normally run on a 95 explorer im hoping i can find one for like 1000 (all i have at the moment) lol

damn this sucks how much does a rebuild normally run on a 95 explorer im hoping i can find one for like 1000 (all i have at the moment) lol
I actually got my 4r55e trans rebuilt for 400 bucks. I had to remove and install though.

yeah im not sure id be able to remove and install on the ground out in the street :)

yeah im not sure id be able to remove and install on the ground out in the street :)
I replaced the tranny on the ground, but not in the street. :eek:

I only had those conventional jacks so that is what I used with the 3.5 ton jack holding the vehicle up all week.

I replaced the tranny on the ground, but not in the street. :eek:

I only had those conventional jacks so that is what I used with the 3.5 ton jack holding the vehicle up all week.

Yeah it would be hard to do in the street in philadelphia, i did my control arms on my old audi and almost got hit by a few cars haha

Man its really pointing at a transmission issue, sorry.

I am pulling my own trans out of my F250 today, damn transmissions! :roll:

JK do you think id be able to find a spot that would do it for around 1000 (id prefer less lol) im assuming a small shop would be better than like aamco and such

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It really just depends on what kind of people work at the shop whether its a AAmco or a small independent. Some only want to rebuild the whole thing or nothing at all and some will go in and just repair what's wrong, you just might have to give up the full warranty and settle for little or no warranty.

I personally have done many "side jobs" over the years, so you may be able to find someone who works at a shop that can do them on the side. You may have to provide the removal and installation. Depending on the transmission I will do them for 300 to 600 for my labor plus parts, sometimes parts can be just as much and you end up around a grand anyways.

Back