Need help to know if this will work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help to know if this will work

Petersongang4

Reaction score
City, State
Yakima, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT E.B.
Hi all, im new to the site and had a huge question...

my plan: i wanna run 38x12.5x20's (i think they are -45mm offset) (xd rockstar wheels) on my 1992 4 door Explorer. I wanna run the 6" lift and add The spring spacers up front and the shackles out rear to get 2 more inches to get 8" of lift to the suspension. also wanting to run a 3" inch body lift to equal 11" total.

My concern: I was wondering do I have to trim anything on the body to make this work. i do not want to trim anyhting at all!!! i wanna keep it all nice and factory except the lift and wheels. im not taking it out mudding its just going to be a truck to drive on the street and occasionally haul my dirt bikes around. i know i have to change gearing but i wanna keep the 8.8 and the 35 front end. i dont want lockers either. any info would be nice thanks... (oh yea dont tell me im stupid for doing it i just think go big or go home) thanks again :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will be close. You def. will have a fighting chance since it won't be a trail rig, and so won't be flexing. I think it will fit, but can't guarantee it. You may still need to trim the back corner of the front wheel wells, but that can be done to look very similar to stock.

38's equal broken axles, even on the street, and i am not sure with a stock motor they make gears to accommodate the 38's and still get some gas mileage,

You're gonna be under powered, even with 5.13's which is the deepest you can go with the Dana 35 I believe.

It's gonna look like a big, gay skateboard but you can probably make 'em fit.

It'll be scary as hell to steer, and probably dangerous to drive.

I have 35's w/5.5" lift and just a little trimming. 38's are only 3" wider. so the body lift should allow them to fit. You may not be able to turn at all, but you'll get them under there.

If you've got an A4LD, it probably won't last long pushing 38's with out enough gear... and if you're gonna tow a trailer, you're going to add to the problem.

I almost guarantee they'll rub on the front fender, at the bottom on the rear.

All you can do is try... not a lot of guys rockin 20's on 1st Gen Ex's.

38's equal broken axles, even on the street, and i am not sure with a stock motor they make gears to accommodate the 38's and still get some gas mileage,

I don't think he'll be breaking axles. remember, this is for a street rig, so it won't be in 4x4 (so the d-35 is out of the equation) and the 8.8 rear has plenty of strength to push 38's on the black top.

thanks!!! that pic the guy has on that page has a sweet setup.... that is what i am looking for.... f.y.i. the trailer only weighs 1200lbs max loaded its utility trailer... im thinking there shouldnt be a problem towing that with the 5.13 gears and the 38's... but ill never know till i do it

You'll probably be just fine with 5.13's for the street. Probably won't be a powerhouse, but it wasn't stock...

Make sure you get enough off-set to push the wheels out far enough so they don't rub on the radius arms and sway bars. They may anyway. Spacers may help as well.

Post pics if you go this route.

Justdifferentials.com has reverse rotation 5.13's for the D35 as well as a few other places. I got awesome service from them. Good luck!

You're gonna be under powered, even with 5.13's which is the deepest you can go with the Dana 35 I believe.

It's gonna look like a big, gay skateboard but you can probably make 'em fit.

It'll be scary as hell to steer, and probably dangerous to drive.

I have 35's w/5.5" lift and just a little trimming. 38's are only 3" wider. so the body lift should allow them to fit. You may not be able to turn at all, but you'll get them under there.

If you've got an A4LD, it probably won't last long pushing 38's with out enough gear... and if you're gonna tow a trailer, you're going to add to the problem.

I almost guarantee they'll rub on the front fender, at the bottom on the rear.

All you can do is try... not a lot of guys rockin 20's on 1st Gen Ex's.[/QUOTE

i will deffinately agree i ran 35 on mine and its sketchy as #### going 65mph and then any sudden movevments feels like your wheels are falling of and if you looked at that lil sticker when you pull down the sun visor it even says it has a high roll over risk..its like a human trying to run a marathon on huge ass stilts sure it could work..but not for long..good luck on the build man haha it will def.look bad as a show car:salute:

I'm fine with 4.56 and 37s on mine, so 5.13 should work well.

Back