• Register Today It's free!

Need help--truck has issues

rlcrafts

Reaction score
City, State
Osceola, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 sport
Have a 91 ex sport, drove all over today, started and stopped numerous times. My last trip the truck died right at the end of my lot at the campground. Tried to restart, no clicks, no nothing. Got it pushed in my yard and let it sit a few minutes and tried to start it, it fired right up, shut it off and on a few times, no problems. Got in it tonight and it started okay, got to the entrance of the campground and it died. No restart this time. Had one of my neighbors tow it down to my yard. When you try and restart it almost sounds like the battery, but the battery is only 5 months old. The starter is also 5 months old, but is the second one in less than a year. Can't remember if we replaced the alternator or not on it. Any thoughts on what this could be? My neighbor said it might be the ignition pack, but could that cause these symptoms? Thanks for any suggestions you all might have. I do have a donor truck, but unfortunatly most of the engine bay stuff is fried.

Check the trigger wire on the starter. Common problem, and classic symptoms. The trigger wire connection corrodes and makes intermittent contact. Some contact cleaner and a squirt of dielectric grease solves it for a good long time.

-Joe

Back