Need Help Very Bad

Nord

Reaction score
City, State
El Paso, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Need Help Tran & T-case problems

I need help. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem. When ever I put my X in to 4x4 my cluch starts to burn and the cluch will go out if i leave it in 4x4. It does it where or not it is in gear or if it is in neutral. Please help!!! :thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a manual or electronic transfer case? It sounds like something inside it is causing the tranny to grab, and seize....time for a new T-case:(

I need more info to try and help. You say the clutch burns in 4H dose it do it in 2H. Do you mean when the truck is moving or also with the truck sitting still? Are you sure it's the clutch making the smell? Try sitting in your driveway clutch in and go from first to reverse several times and see if it gose into gears without grinding. If it is the clutch: Check oil level in the tranny the manuals have a few places that leak it could be filled with gear oil or ATF. Next check the level in the cup for the slave cylinder then bleed the air from the system.

It 's an electronic transfer with a manual tran.

Bronco_bill

the cluch work fine in 2wd. it only start to burn when it is in 4H or 4L, the truck can be moving or parked it doen't matter. yes i know it tthe cluch becouse i have burned up two cluch or three tring to find the problem. one of them got so hot that it melted the slave cylinder to it, and there was nothing left of the cluch. i have no grinding going between 1st and reverse. the oil level are fine in both the tran and the t-case. i have about 160,000 mile on the trans and t-case.

I am kinda just thinking out loud so maybe someone else will chime in and help. In between clutches did you have the fly wheel resurfaced or at least checked? Do you have the Mazda or Mitsubishi tranny? Unless I am forgeting something about how a manual tranny works, If the clutch hydr system is working properly in neutral the clutch contacts the flywheel fully and the main input shaft spins freely inside the tranny. since it dose not contact with any gears no pressure should be on the clutch and the trany output shaft should stay still. This means that the input of the t-case should not move. Therfore there should be no effect from puting the t-case in 4x4 or from a binding t-case unless there is also something wrong in the tranny. Hope some of this helps

sounds to me like your tranny is shot.. your output shaft and bearings are worn out and or your clutch is not aligned properly. it has to be exactly in the center or it will cause all sorts of problems.

Back