Need help with codes

XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Wausau, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport SOHC 4X4
I pulled the codes on my truck and got a
P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)
P0232 Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit High

I searched but didnt find much help on the subject. How do i fix these problems? The truck seems to run normal. I keep getting the p0455. I turn it off and then it pops back up in a week or a couple of weeks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an idea on the p0455 code but not sure what to look for on po232 code.

As I uderstand it a p0232 means the computer is telling the fuel pump to run more than it wants the fuel pump to run. Normally the fuel pump doesn't run 100% of the time. It instead has a targeted range it should run. If the computer has to tell the fuel pump to run more often than it wants it to run it will throw that code.

I'd look for fuel leaks, plugged fuel filter, leaky injectors etc..

~Mark

A 232 can also be set if the IFS was tripped and reset.
Also check the low speed fuel pump relay and fuses.

Bob

Alright i will look around. I just installed a engine kill switch using the inertia switch. Could that have triggered it?

Alright i will look around. I just installed a engine kill switch using the inertia switch. Could that have triggered it?

I would say so. Why would you need a kill switch on a 98?

Bob

I would say so. Why would you need a kill switch on a 98?

Bob

I am moving to a big city in a few months and wanted a little more protection. Plus i am unemployed at the moment and like to find cheap projects to help fill my days. So does that mean the the 232 code is something not to worry about?

I am moving to a big city in a few months and wanted a little more protection. Plus i am unemployed at the moment and like to find cheap projects to help fill my days. So does that mean the the 232 code is something not to worry about?

I thought Wausau was the big city. The PATS system should be all you need. Without a correctly coded key it wont start. It cant be bypassed or tricked in any way. So unless someone has stolen your keys, you shouldn't need a kill switch.

Bob

I thought Wausau was the big city. The PATS system should be all you need. Without a correctly coded key it wont start. It cant be bypassed or tricked in any way. So unless someone has stolen your keys, you shouldn't need a kill switch.

Bob

Wausau isn't tiny but is dwarfed in comparison to St. Paul mn. Hmm. I see your point after searching. Looks like 97 and earlier benifit from the kill switch. Might have to rethink this.

Back