• Register Today It's free!

Missing

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Sport 4WD
Fuel or Electrical is the question.

It started a few weeks ago and would only miss when I would step on the accelerator hard. Merging onto the freeway, going up a steep incline, that sort of thing. So that implied it was a fuel issue. But now it is a consistent miss (when it is missing) that is to say, it doesn't always miss but when it does, it has a rhythm. And the miss will show up at random times now, in idle, cruising at 35 but it still always happens under load. I occasionally get a violent back fire (through the exhaust) at freeway speeds. I can usually get the miss to stop by releasing the fuel and reapplying presure. These things imply fuel to me as well but the constant rhythm makes me think electrical.

I'm going to change the fuel filter today but what else should check? All my cars other cars are carburetored so injectors are a bit of a mystery to me, but I'm not one to be put off by a challenge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you haven't changed the spark plugs and wires I suggest doing so. When you take the plugs out line em up in order, the missing cylinder should then be easy to identify.

No check engine light?

Since Buddha's ride is (I assume) a 1994, he might
not have a CEL triggered by a misfire. But I agree
with Turdle about the plugs and wires being the
culprits. Check to see if the wires are laying on the
exhaust manifolds. Also clean off the top of the
coil pack.

When the engine is under load, cylinder pressures are
greatest and if the spark is weak that's when misfires
will occur. So the problem is most likely spark rather
than fuel.

I'm glad I came here to ask. I'll pick up new plugs and wires tomorrow.

No check engine light.

But I forgot to mention earlier that my mpgs went from around 23 to 11 according to the mpg app I use on my phone.

Back