Need help with Seat upholstery/padding | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with Seat upholstery/padding

Joe DeVola

Reaction score
City, State
AtL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Our 2004 Explorer is my wife's vehicle. If we're out in it I usually am in the passenger's seat. During the first few years I've apparently leaned on the center console alot with my left elbow and leaned more against that side of the passenger's seat back. Consequently, the padding surrounding the frame of the seat is not providing any padding anymore. Does anyone know if this would be an expensive fix to have someone go in and rebuild the padding?

Our 2004 Explorer is my wife's vehicle. If we're out in it I usually am in the passenger's seat. During the first few years I've apparently leaned on the center console alot with my left elbow and leaned more against that side of the passenger's seat back. Consequently, the padding surrounding the frame of the seat is not providing any padding anymore. Does anyone know if this would be an expensive fix to have someone go in and rebuild the padding?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm not sure what it would cost you to have the seat re-upholstered, but I did make the dealership I bought my Ex at, repair a lower side panel on my drivers seat that had a tear in it. They had to unbolt and remove the seat, and have an upholsterer come into their shop and sew in a new side panel at no cost to me. Yours is a similar situation with removing the seat, then they would have to take off the old upholstery skin to the seat and remove the old padding underneath, then re-insert new padding and put the old upholstery skin back on the seat, and bolt the seat back into the vehicle. I'm guessing here, but you are probably looking at $200-$300 to pay someone to do this. You might be able to save some money by pulling the seat out yourself and dropping it off at an upholstery shop just do the new padding part of the job. Pulling out the front passenger seat should be easy.

Back