Need help with vibration diagnosis | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with vibration diagnosis

Skyhiranger1

Reaction score
City, State
KC, MO area
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 RANGER STX
Stock 2000 Explorer XLS/4 door/4x4/5 speed auto/4.0 OHV.
150K miles.

Once I get up to about 30MPH and above and am just cruising along, with my foot lightly on the gas pedal, there is a vibration. There is like a humming/groaning associated with this vibration (maybe it is the noise the vibration is making)? It isn't a scraping, grinding, or squeaking noise. Seems to vibrate and make the loudest humming/groaning at 60-65MPH. Seems like it is a chassis or drivetrain vibration.

If I step into it, and accelerate, the vibration and noise seems to go away.
If I let off the gas pedal and coast, the vibration and noise goes away.
It doesn't feel like a tire vibration. The steering wheel doesn't shake. Tires are good. Tires are properly inflated.

It almost seems like it is coming from the tranny, but I can't tell for sure. The tranny shifts fine. And it doesn't seem to make a difference what gear the tranny is in, there is still a humming/groaning noise and vibration.

New tranny fluid and filter within the last 3K miles.
New Moog balljoints, within the last 10-15K.
New shocks all the way around, within the last 2K.
New rotors and pads all the way around (new parking brake shoes too).
New Moog inner tie rods, within the last 500 miles.
Alignment just checked and it is good. There was also no play in the front wheel bearings.
No noticeable play in the front or rear driveshafts (ujoints, or where they go into the tcase, or in the slip joints).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear u-Joint. You can't always check play with the shaft in place..

This may sound dumb, but make sure your spare tire is on there tight and not loose... You should be able to lightly kick it with out it moving or shaking.

This may sound dumb, but make sure your spare tire is on there tight and not loose... You should be able to lightly kick it with out it moving or shaking.

Not the problem, but thanks for the suggestion.

Rear u-Joint. You can't always check play with the shaft in place..

I did some more checking, since the more I thought about the issue, it seemed like to me it was a ujoint problem. Turns out, I do have some play in the axle end ujoint on the rear dshaft. I put the tranny in neutral with the parking brake set and twisted and wiggled the shaft and could see the play in it.
I'll get 2 new ujoints and replace them both.

Once I get them replaced, I'll post back, to let everyone know if it fixes the problem.

Carefull when you take that drive shaft off, if your parked on a slope the truck can roll over you...Use P brake or wheel chocks!

Safety First! :salute:

Carefull when you take that drive shaft off, if your parked on a slope the truck can roll over you...Use P brake or wheel chocks!

Safety First! :salute:

Yeah. Parking brake was set, plus the front wheels were blocked.

Sorry, I thought I posted.
I replaced both ujoints in the rear driveshaft.
The front ujoint was tight and looked good, but I replaced it anyway. I figured with 152K on it, it wouldn't be a bad idea.
The rear ujoint had no needle bearings left in one cap. Hence the play in that ujoint.
After replacing both ujoints and taking it for a test drive, the vibration is gone.

Back