• Register Today It's free!

Need mass help

diamondback2k9

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4x4 4.0L SOHC
All right some of you know that I painted my Explorer the other day. Its a 2000 XLT. The paint just didn't turn out right. Its fudged up. I am debating if I should just scrap the car trade it in for an Expedtion or where do I go in the Cincinnati area to get a good quality paint job. What I am looking for is a just out of the factory look. What do you think I would be looking to spend and how long would it take? Please let me know what I should do. I'm not sure if I should keep pouring money into it or just restart with a different car. I still owe about $3000 left and looking to get about $2000 on a trade in. About how much for a paint professional paint do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can we see how it looks

Wel, in all honesty, if it's as bad as you think it is, they're not going to give you jack on a trade-in. They can't sell the SUV's on the lots now, let alone one with torqued paint. If it was me, I'd probably just drive it. You owe more than it's worth to scrap it, and not enough to justify putting $2-3k on a good paintjob. It can't be that bad- did you wetsand and buff it out? Is it clearcoated? Be honest about you skills- if you're not a painter, don't expect a "showroom" finish. Be nicer to yourself- you still have a nice looking Ex. :)

No I didn't buff it. Im still thinking about getting it repainted a little bit down the road. I really don't want to get a new car right now. So you think about $2,000.00 for a good paint job?

I have seen paint jobs run close to $15,000. And I've seen them for $500. It's all in the prep work and what you want. Does it need to be stripped? What is the condition of the paint underneath? How straight is the body. What type of paint do you want to use? Quite honestly, $2000 isn't much these days for a paint job. The supplies alone are several hundred. If all you want is a cheap Maaco type job, you already have that. But if you want something you are proud of, you are going to have to pay for it.

I saw the other day there is a guy in SoCal I believe that specializes in painting flames on cars. His prices START at $5000...and he's booked for over a year out.

i have to agree with cobraguy. if you look at the paint job on my truck, and if i didn't do everything to it myself, it would have easily cost about $10,000 for the paint and body work. BUT, if you did clear coat it, there is some hope. what you can try doing is wet sand (or color sand if you like) and polish it. but that also depends on how many coats of clear you used. if you only used 2 coats of clear, i wouldn't do that. your likely to burn through the clear, then you will have problems. or what you can do is, sand the clear so it is no longer shinny, and re-clear everything, then wet sand it and polish it. you could also take it to a shop and as them how much it would coast to re-clear it if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

Back