Need more traction stat! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need more traction stat!

123explore

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 ford explorer xlt
I have a 96 explorer with a "normal axle" open diff and was wondering if i can swap a trac lok diff in my existing axle housing? What would be needed to complete the swap if possible? Or even just point me in the right direction to a thread that may answer my question. Any part numbers or possible donor vehicles or even a good locker for cheap would be greatly appreiciated. However its a multi purpose vehicle that will see more street use than mud so a full time locker may not be the best way to go. Unless im missing something and just haven't found the right products to finish my project ideas. The truck will soon be on 33's and a 5 inch total lift nothing too crazy but the lack of traction in stock form is killing me! And the bigger tires aren't going to do much good if only 2 or the occasional 3 are spinning. Any input would help a lot.

Thanks -matt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Direct replacement. Swaps right in and it has the Cobra carbon fiber clutches, instead of the standard "paper". I do recommend having a professional install, as the gear mesh/backlash is critical. Only a few thousandths off can cause big problems. Ask me how I know.....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-4204-f318c/overview/

Throw a aussie in it and learn how to drive it on the street. ..lol aka dont gas the crap outa of it making sharp turns!!! Cheapest best mod you can do without swapping the whole carrier. .unless you plan to get new gears for the bigger tires, which you should

Direct replacement. Swaps right in and it has the Cobra carbon fiber clutches, instead of the standard "paper". I do recommend having a professional install, as the gear mesh/backlash is critical. Only a few thousandths off can cause big problems. Ask me how I know.....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-4204-f318c/overview/

^^^ thats what I run in the ranger and it is firm.I like it so far but only went that route because I plan to autocross the ranger;)

Throw a aussie in it and learn how to drive it on the street. ..lol aka dont gas the crap outa of it making sharp turns!!! Cheapest best mod you can do without swapping the whole carrier. .unless you plan to get new gears for the bigger tires, which you should

cheaper then the $249.99 for that complete, assembled ( just add bearings and your ring gear) carrier I linked above?

Plus, wouldn't a "locker" make for very tricky handling in snow/ice, or even rain?

cheaper then the $249.99 for that complete, assembled ( just add bearings and your ring gear) carrier I linked above?

Plus, wouldn't a "locker" make for very tricky handling in snow/ice, or even rain?

Haven't priced the 8.8 aussie in awile but think it goes for around that price.also depends if he has the tools to setup gears.new bearings and crush bushing should be used always unless you nail the backlash without adjusting the pinion.aussie swap right in without any adjustments and probably less than 30 mins. And its no trickier than those carbon fiber clutches, on ice its gonna be tricky no matter what.but off road it will out perform and last longer than a ls any day of the week.

My truck in snow performed excellent.never even used 4x4, drove like it was on a rail.of course you need to drive like you have some sense but it drove no different than my ranger with the ford racing pack..ice is the only concern but is no matter what you have and if you encounter ice only on one wheel a locker will outperform LS, ice is just scary:(

I love my aussie, performs perfect for what it is, obviously not for autocross or that kind of track use but I have no complaints offroad or on road with mine:salute:

My truck in snow performed excellent.never even used 4x4, drove like it was on a rail.of course you need to drive like you have some sense but it drove no different than my ranger with the ford racing pack..ice is the only concern but is no matter what you have and if you encounter ice only on one wheel a locker will outperform LS, ice is just scary:(

I love my aussie, performs perfect for what it is, obviously not for autocross or that kind of track use but I have no complaints offroad or on road with mine:salute:

I must say I was SHOCKED as well about how mine handled in the snow. I was worried that I was going to hurt my snow driving capability with it which being in NY I really didn't want to happen. Luckily I can say the opposite is true! Never even need 4wd it seems like now unless I am trying to make alot of sharp turns like slippery parking lots the 4wd on keeps the front tires from understeering....thats about the only time I really would miss 4x4...its really strange but awesome that it worked out like it did!

Alright aussie locker it is. Do they make an aussie for the dana 35 up front? Any write ups or how to's on installing this particular locker in the 8.8? Thanks for the feed back.

Alright aussie locker it is. Do they make an aussie for the dana 35 up front? Any write ups or how to's on installing this particular locker in the 8.8? Thanks for the feed back.

They do but it would be better to run a ls up front in second gens.first gens you can unlock one hub.also if you have auto or awd you need to do brown wire mod.you dont want it kicking in on the street with a locker up front.it also is harder to steer with locker up front..but I love my aussie up front but I can unlock a hub..honestly just having a aussie in the rear will make a HUGE difference off road as long as you keep both front tires on the ground.

Tons of thread on install, its really easy.ill see if I can find one.

I appreciate it. The ls front works fine so i may just leave that alone for now while i continue to drive on the street. Ill save that for later.

That limited slip is really tempting me... Do they come in different gear ratios, like say 4.56?

That limited slip is really tempting me... Do they come in different gear ratios, like say 4.56?

The ls doesn't have anything to do with gear ratios.you would need to purchase gears and install kit separately.also you can pick up a ls carrier at the junkyard and order just new clutches. The carrier is not a aftermarket part, its stock but the ford racing clutches are stronger.wont compare to a full locker offroad tho.

The ls doesn't have anything to do with gear ratios.you would need to purchase gears and install kit separately.also you can pick up a ls carrier at the junkyard and order just new clutches. The carrier is not a aftermarket part, its stock but the ford racing clutches are stronger.wont compare to a full locker offroad tho.

Oh I see, the aussie locker and this lsd you linked don't include the ring and pinion, just spider gears. That explains why they're 250 dollars cheaper than i was expecting. I see now that's also why it isn't drop in and you actually have to do preload and backspacing adjustments.

Duh, my bad.

Isn't there a locker out there that includes the ring and pinion in the assembly so you don't have to do any adjustments just drop it in? the term lunchbox locker comes to mind but I think that aussie locker looked like what I thought a lunchbox was (always locked non-selectable, ratchets on turns)

Oh I see, the aussie locker and this lsd you linked don't include the ring and pinion, just spider gears. That explains why they're 250 dollars cheaper than i was expecting. I see now that's also why it isn't drop in and you actually have to do preload and backspacing adjustments.

Duh, my bad.

Isn't there a locker out there that includes the ring and pinion in the assembly so you don't have to do any adjustments just drop it in? the term lunchbox locker comes to mind but I think that aussie locker looked like what I thought a lunchbox was (always locked non-selectable, ratchets on turns)

The gears attach to a carrier. They make two different kind of stock carriers, a open and a LS.a LS have clutches in it, a open does not.a aussie is a lunch box type of locker, lunch box lockers only install in a open carrier.the LS carrier can only have new stronger clutches installed.

They do make full aftermarket carriers that are a lockers.you would pull your stock carrier and gear out.you would attach old gear to new aftermarket carrier locker and install.no carriers come with gears attached. Gears have nothing to do with carrier, locker or LS...two totally separate parts.any time you change gears or carrier they need to be setup.thats the benefit of a lunch box locker, it fits inside a open carrier, no gear setup..

The gears attach to a carrier. They make two different kind of stock carriers, a open and a LS.a LS have clutches in it, a open does not.a aussie is a lunch box type of locker, lunch box lockers only install in a open carrier.the LS carrier can only have new stronger clutches installed.

They do make full aftermarket carriers that are a lockers.you would pull your stock carrier and gear out.you would attach old gear to new aftermarket carrier locker and install.no carriers come with gears attached. Gears have nothing to do with carrier, locker or LS...two totally separate parts.any time you change gears or carrier they need to be setup.thats the benefit of a lunch box locker, it fits inside a open carrier, no gear setup..

Certain vehicles like jeep rubicons and some land rovers come wtih air/electric lockers, so technically those can be stock too.

Basically then if your car comes with LSD then you have to adjust backlash because you have to replace the whole spider gear carrier, but if open you can pull the old open gears out and put a locker in the old carrier.

The part I was confused about is bolded, I guess when I was researching lockers I was confused and thought they came with a ring and pinion gear as well. Guess not.

Ring and pinion only have to do with LS/locker/carrier when the ring is too small to actually accommodate the locker/carrier, but the spider gears are the actually gears inside the carrier. Just clarifying, because it's confusing to me to read "gears have nothing to do with locker/LS/carrier" until I realized you meant ring and pinion gears.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back