Need Power Help??

ZZYZXXXX

Reaction score
City, State
Dumont, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT 4X4
Hi,

I recently bought a 99 Explorer XLT. I am trying to mount my GPS in the console but would like to have the passenger side accessory jack to be powered when the key is on and off when the key is off. Would it be easier for me to rewire the accessory jack or to hard wire the GPS? What is the easiest way to rewire the accessory jack? I have the OLD Garmin 2610. Please keep in mine I am not an electrical expert. Thank you for your help.

Joe

:navajo:

You could do it either way but I would see how many amps the garmin draws in the manual or website. If you just re-wire it underneath the dash somewhere where there's power only when the key is turned on, the wire may not be adequate to handle "extra" things put on it later since it was not designed for that. you can install a relay that will power the accessory jack or the garmin when power is sent to the relay. A relay has four connectors on it usually, one for source power like the battery(hot all the time), one for destination power(gps), one for power to the relay(this would be your ignition power(can come from any power source that is 12v only when the ignition is on, when the ignition is off, it will turn the relay off thereby turning the gps off because there will be no power to the relay anymore), and the fourth is ground. Hope this helps. Make sure you get the amps for the unit so you can size the relay appropriately. A relay such as this can be found in the electrical section of any auto parts store. If you don't know how to read the pins on it, either ask them and write it down or ask me when you get it with a picture or something. It may even have a diagram on the package. I'm an electrical engineer so Id be happy to help with this. A relay is the way to go though.

the "easiest" is probably to pick up the output from the accessory delay relay which powers lots of stuff (windows etc).... somewhere near / around the relay module in the center of the instrument panel.

Back