Need some 4406 Swap Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need some 4406 Swap Help

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
Ok guys, after fighting the past month or two trying to find a new transfer case for my 96 AWD 5.0, I'm thinking about just doing the 4406 swap. That said my eyes are about the pop out reading all these threads and finding contradicting information. So I'm hoping someone can confirm what is correct and what I have to do to get this done. I'll list below what I think to be true, but please correct me if I'm wrong or if there is any other info I should know like other year vehicles I can get parts from or easier ways to do this.

My vehicle: 1996 Explorer 5.0L AWD

To do the swap I think I need:

- manual shift 4406 from a 97/98 F-150 with a 4.6, because they are the only years and engine that have the proper speedo setup/trans bolt pattern (I read somewhere about pressing some ring on somewhere and using a later year case, but I want to avoid this) and if I'm not mistaken getting the 97/98 case will bolt right in without modification to the case correct?

- I know about the bending/cutting of the floor and gas tank bracket. I'm also keeping my factory tank, so hopefully that will clear without issues. Can anyone confirm this?

-Shift linkage from the same truck or find another 99-03 F-150 and use that shift linkage (even a 5.4 linkage will work so long as it's not a 97/98 linkage).

-97-03 Expedition/98-02 Navigator Rear driveshaft form a 5.4 equipped truck.

-97-03 F-150 front driveshaft from a 4.6 equipped truck

-Conversion U joint for front driveshaft Autozone P/N 185793

-Shift Boot

-A full weekend and some beer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone ever swapped in a Bronco NP208 case? Seems like that might be an option and probably fit a lot better. My buddy has 3 of them laying in his garage.

the np205 can be done yes, it will bolt in. you can twin stick the FORD NP205 also
However they have a crappy low range and they are a gear driven transfer case.... in a ranger at highway speeds that thing can generate some heat!
I have setup a 84 ranger 5.0 this way, it works good, the NP205 is a bomb proof t case, very heavy, but has its drawbacks..... the low range is not very low and the gear drive turns many people off to it.

Listen the 4406 t case was used from 1995-2014 behind the 302, 351, 4.6 and 5.4, also the 4.2 V6 found in some F150.
The 4406 case came in 3 basic formats, manual shift, electric shift, and torque on demand (a sort of awd)

You want the manual shift version
The 4406 was used in trucks under 7500#, so some 5.4 trucks use the 4407 and some use the 4406. The 4407 is huge and will not fit.
ALL 4.6 4x4 trucks (F150, expedition, lincoln navigator, and some 4.6 explorers) used a version of the 4406

Next you need to retain your speed sensor.
In 1996 your 5.0 truck has the vehicle speed sensor (vss) in the tailhousing of the transfer case.
If you remove it the truck will freak out, the engines computer, the cruise control, all want to see the truck is moving and want to know how fast. The issue here is 1997 was the last year of the tailhousing mounted VSS, in basically all Fords. So you MUST get a 4406 that has a VSS in the tailhousing. This means you need a 1995-98 4406 only....... If you find this t case then you can literally bolt it in in place of your AWD, you will still have to fit the floor shifter and source some driveshafts.

Now if you were to find a 4406 that does not have the VSS in the tailhousing you can still use it if:

1 you convert the tailhousing to the 95-98 style with the VSS (I have done this in my old 96 explorer)
or
2 You wire in a Dakota digital speedometer interface, basically use the rear axle speed sensor for the signal and the dakota unit can change the signal into what the truck wants to see

Then there are driveshafts
You CAN find front and rear driveshafts that will basically bolt into your now 4406 converted explorer... or you can have some shafts made, or you can shorten some existing shafts.

let us know what you decide or if you need help finding the right 4406 or NP205

The 4406 conversion is the absolute best upgrade you can do to a 5.0 explorer IMO

the np205 can be done yes, it will bolt in. you can twin stick the FORD NP205 also
However they have a crappy low range and they are a gear driven transfer case.... in a ranger at highway speeds that thing can generate some heat!
I have setup a 84 ranger 5.0 this way, it works good, the NP205 is a bomb proof t case, very heavy, but has its drawbacks..... the low range is not very low and the gear drive turns many people off to it.

Listen the 4406 t case was used from 1995-2014 behind the 302, 351, 4.6 and 5.4, also the 4.2 V6 found in some F150.
The 4406 case came in 3 basic formats, manual shift, electric shift, and torque on demand (a sort of awd)

You want the manual shift version
The 4406 was used in trucks under 7500#, so some 5.4 trucks use the 4407 and some use the 4406. The 4407 is huge and will not fit.
ALL 4.6 4x4 trucks (F150, expedition, lincoln navigator, and some 4.6 explorers) used a version of the 4406

Next you need to retain your speed sensor.
In 1996 your 5.0 truck has the vehicle speed sensor (vss) in the tailhousing of the transfer case.
If you remove it the truck will freak out, the engines computer, the cruise control, all want to see the truck is moving and want to know how fast. The issue here is 1997 was the last year of the tailhousing mounted VSS, in basically all Fords. So you MUST get a 4406 that has a VSS in the tailhousing. This means you need a 1995-98 4406 only....... If you find this t case then you can literally bolt it in in place of your AWD, you will still have to fit the floor shifter and source some driveshafts.

Now if you were to find a 4406 that does not have the VSS in the tailhousing you can still use it if:

1 you convert the tailhousing to the 95-98 style with the VSS (I have done this in my old 96 explorer)
or
2 You wire in a Dakota digital speedometer interface, basically use the rear axle speed sensor for the signal and the dakota unit can change the signal into what the truck wants to see

Then there are driveshafts
You CAN find front and rear driveshafts that will basically bolt into your now 4406 converted explorer... or you can have some shafts made, or you can shorten some existing shafts.

let us know what you decide or if you need help finding the right 4406 or NP205

The 4406 conversion is the absolute best upgrade you can do to a 5.0 explorer IMO
Sounds like the 4406 is the better route. Plus it's shift on the fly. Is everything I listed what I need or am I off on drive shaft year ranges or something?

The F-150 front DS did not fit under my EX. It was too long and I'm not hacking a DS when a double cardan DS from a 1st gen EX/early 2nd gen EX fits perfectly when you add a #627 flange to it with no funky u joints.

interesting info! Thanks @SWIGIN
I have that driveshaft in the front of my BII I will take some measurements today
I have not had an issue fitting 4.6 front d shaft into these trucks with the 4406, only had to shorten it 1" (can come out of the slip yoke)
but that was with a stock height truck, the ranger I am building now has a 6" superlift so a double cardan driveshaft would be preferred!

The F-150 front DS did not fit under my EX. It was too long and I'm not hacking a DS when a double cardan DS from a 1st gen EX/early 2nd gen EX fits perfectly when you add a #627 flange to it with no funky u joints.

Now this is interesting. I have an early 96 with the front double cardon shaft. You're saying that will still work for me? Boy would that make me happy. What is this flange you're talking about?

The Moog 627 yoke is a great find. I hate cross-pattern ujoints.

The Moog 627 yoke is a great find. I hate cross-pattern ujoints.

Yeah, I hate them too.

If I am remembering right, that 627 flange was a Lincoln part originally.

I added it to my shopping cart on Commiezon.

I see this is over a year old, but I am about to do this swap, sort of. I have a 2wd 96 5.0, and I pulled a 4wd 4r70w out of an AWD 98 I believe. Just curious about the VSS sensor, mine is on the tail shaft of the trans, and I assume its the same location on the AWD same year. So if I find a 97/98 4406 the VSS will basically plug right in?

Yes, the VSS is in the rear part of the trans or TC, for all pre-99 Explorers. So if you are converting to 4WD, the transfer case needs to have the VSS in the back of it for your 96 truck.

The VSS for AWD and 4x4 models is always in the transfer case (1991-98)
the 4406 t case had a VSS sensor in it until 1998
Your 96 Explorer NEEDS a VSS signal
So you need to find a 4406 with the VSS provisions, yes your 96-97 style sensor will just drop right in.

When I converted my old 96 to 4406 I had to ADD a VSS to the transfer case using stock parts
410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range

Now days I use the Dakota Digital device to create a vss signal for the pcm IF the transfer case does not come with one

Ok guys, after fighting the past month or two trying to find a new transfer case for my 96 AWD 5.0, I'm thinking about just doing the 4406 swap. That said my eyes are about the pop out reading all these threads and finding contradicting information. So I'm hoping someone can confirm what is correct and what I have to do to get this done. I'll list below what I think to be true, but please correct me if I'm wrong or if there is any other info I should know like other year vehicles I can get parts from or easier ways to do this.

My vehicle: 1996 Explorer 5.0L AWD

To do the swap I think I need:

- manual shift 4406 from a 97/98 F-150 with a 4.6, because they are the only years and engine that have the proper speedo setup/trans bolt pattern (I read somewhere about pressing some ring on somewhere and using a later year case, but I want to avoid this) and if I'm not mistaken getting the 97/98 case will bolt right in without modification to the case correct?

- I know about the bending/cutting of the floor and gas tank bracket. I'm also keeping my factory tank, so hopefully that will clear without issues. Can anyone confirm this?

-Shift linkage from the same truck or find another 99-03 F-150 and use that shift linkage (even a 5.4 linkage will work so long as it's not a 97/98 linkage).

-97-03 Expedition/98-02 Navigator Rear driveshaft form a 5.4 equipped truck.

-97-03 F-150 front driveshaft from a 4.6 equipped truck

-Conversion U joint for front driveshaft Autozone P/N 185793

-Shift Boot

-A full weekend and some beer
Old thread, however if you're still wanting to do this and haven't yet, i have the tail housing for the speedo sensor i will sell you dirt cheap. It bolts on and is 6 bolts. No mechanical knowledge needed to put on and its not modifying the new transfer case. Its just a tail housing. Like a sleeve. Doesnt seal anything and bolts on to the outside. Comes from a first gen 4406 made with speedo gear sensor like you read about. Just bolt it on to the new xfer case.
Anyways, you can use ANY transfer case from any f150 97-04 doesn't matter what motor. Manual or electric. If you go electric, use a ranger switch if you go manual you will need all the shift linkage and shifter stuff.yes on the front driveshaft 4.6 f150 i had to custom make my rear, however my 4406 was for a ranger swap with explorer 5.0, yes on conversion U-joint shift boot and alot more then some beer

Back