• Register Today It's free!

need some advice..

The Godfather

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
I put my amps and xover under the seat to check fit...and they're too big. My 4 channel amp just fits under the passengers side back seat but theres no room for the RCAs or wires. I've still got 1 more amp to put under and the xover is twice the size I thought it would be. (Ordered of internet) Is there any other place I could put them beside under the seat?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a few places you could put it. If you have or plan to place a sub box in the back you could mount it to that, but I wouldn't recommend w/o a securtiy sys. If done professionally you could put it under the front passenger seat. It might also fit where the factory amp is, but it would have to be kinda small. I have heard of people actually putting it in the back seat. Like inside the foam, but I dont think it sounds to great. In some cars it can go in the kickpanel, but I don't think this works on the Explorer. As for the crossover, it could be placed in the back. This isn't as much a risk to theft.

i installed my sterio myself, and heres what i did. when you fold the seats down, you know that little flappy thing that covers up the space? mount the amps to those. its the perfect place. the fabric cover nicely conceals them too. plus you can make all your wire go right through it. it looks real proffesional and neat. if you want pics, reply to this message and ill send some your way

I was thinking about that space. My one amp is 15x12, the other I haven't ordered (think about 8x12), and my xover is 6x12. I hope there's enough room back there. If you could send pics it would be a big help. bkel@hotmail.com

i sent a few pics. i took em witha polaroid , so the quality isn't all that great. i tried to fix the color as best as i could on photoshop.
so check your mail... they should be there

I'm in college so I definately don't want have the amp showing. It did give me an idea. I'm going to build a box around the amp and carpet it and place it where you have yours. Thanks for the help.

that sounds like a good idea... in fact id like some pictures when you finish... but make sure you make vent holes and maybee even put in a fan because ALL amps tend to get hot.

I'll get pics up as soon as I get everything. I still need to order one amp and my mids are out of stock so it might be a month before I get any pics. I know how hot amps can get, I had an Orion 2250 that got so hot you couldn't touch it, I'm putting a fan on each side of the box, one pushing the air in and one pulling the air out.

sounds good to me... my friend burned the "dr" from a drive series amp in his hand cuz it was so hot. luckily my infinity amp doesn't get reallly hot even when its on all day. also, if your not using the space where the factory sub goes, you could put an amp there, mount it to plywood, cover it with black cloth, and keep it sunk into the space behind the opening, then put some plexiglass over the hole so you can see theamp still, and maybee a nice neon light in there too. plus you could cover it with the fabric cover and it would be completely stealth. just another idea. i plan to do that as soon as i break down and spend my money, i tend to be a real scrooge and it took me a long time to give up 40 bucks on blackouts, nevermind the fourhundred i spent on the cd player and subs

[This message has been edited by mtxexplorer (edited 09-17-1999).]

I dont know how expirenced you are but I had a chance to 1998 Sony demo vehicle and likely enough it was a 98 explorer sport they did a complete and I meen complete stealer install wow It was amazing they mounted there amps back in the cargo areas roof!!!! And in the rear passenger panels they put 10s amazing sound from amazing people After tring to attempt this I decided to mount my 5 channel amp back where the original factory amp is located this is about a three hour job but you dont have worry about theft!!!

Back