• Register Today It's free!

Need Some trany help please

Arlington91

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer 4 door 4x4
I'm new to the forums here and also just purchased a 91 explorer 5speed 4x4.
I only paid $300 for it and the a/c even works. The motor sounds great started right up, no smoke, pings, smooth idle, no immediate issues with the 4.0. The only issue is I can't let the clutch out. When I do there is loud popping and crunching about half way out on the clutch. The po stated that he was going about 35mph and decided it was a good idea to see if the 4wd worked, so he pushed the button and he said nothing happened so he pushed the 4 low button and all of a sudden the clanking started. My question is, what all may have happened? When you release the clutch slowly the truck tries to move but crunches and then stops and then starts to move again and then the popping and crunching starts. Any Ideas? I'm hoping it is just the clutch. Was this still a good buy for $300 or did i just shoot my self in the foot?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if he did in fact try to engage 4 low while at 35mph it could have broke the chain in the transfer case easiest way to find out is drop the rear dr shft and tail houseing and look iinside the case an see if the chain is broke or not if it is indeed broke then it is binding up the gears an wont let it go anywhere.. if not then i would move to the clutch.

Ill give it a look tomorrow, Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Ok, well the transfer case is removed and still doing the sounds. I looked in at the clutch through the inspection hole, looks fine. So I must replace the trans.
After searching the site this is what I came up with.
I can use any 2.9l or 4.0l manual, 4x4 from a later model bronco2 or a 91-94 explorer. Is this correct? Also I believe that all b2s came with a dummy transfer case if they are 2wd...if this is correct can I still use the trans?

I may be wrong, but I think you can get the M5OD out of rangers, mazda b-series, aerostars, explorers, navajos.

I had a very similar situation... Traded a 91 E250 for two 91 explorers. One was rusty and had a beat up rear 1/4 panel and the other had the exact symptoms you are describing. Eventually, I took out the transmission and opened it up. Sure enough, a big gear, right at the front of the transmission was stripped of all its teeth. Since the body was in better shape, and it had a manual transfer case and hubs, limited slip, and tow package, i took the trans from the working truck and put it in the one that had the blown transmission. Very happy with the results. I was fortunate to have a donor truck, which I also stripped of seats, tinted glass, and other spare parts, then scrapped to make some money back.

If your transfer case is messed up, I have a spare.

Back