• Register Today It's free!

Need tire reviews.

96_Exploder

Reaction score
City, State
originaly Buckholts, Texas / Stationed at Ft. Bragg NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
I got at 96 Explorer XLT 4x4. Im lifting it to put 33s. I was wondering what yall thought bout the following brands and if there is any brands in the same price range that are better. I had Wranglers on my 83 Bronco full size and had the buckshots also and loved both sets but the where 31/10.50s and I bought used. the Wrangles i thought held up better to more conditions but the buckshots where better in the mud. I need great mud performance with trail ability that can handle bout 10 miles 5 days aweek highway.

GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC
Mudstar M/T
MAXXIS MT-754 BUCKSHOT MUDDER OWL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will have to recommend "Kumho" as my favorite tire brand. I originally purchased my Kumho Road Venture AT 255/70/16's for the sand because they are not a radial tire and only have 2 ply sidewalls so they bag out when you let them down. I also wanted them for their not so aggressive "block pattern tread" and good value for money. I found they are awesome and deliver "truck like operation" on the highway when pumped up to 37+ psi.

Ever since I got these tires I have not been able to keep my truck out of the mud. The mud never interested me before but now it's just too darn fun and I keep going back for more!

Kumho also make MT and HT tires, they have radial tires also.

I always recommend Mickey Thompson. They balance well, have great traction depending on what tire you buy/use said tire for, and they wear very well. I have had my ATZ's on for over a year now and put roughly 20k+ miles(city/highway) on them and they still look fairly new. Wear also depends on how often you rotate them along with how your alignment is too.

well, between the 3 tires you mentioned i can say im familiar with the duratracs and the maxxis and they are both great buys. the duratracs are more road friendly in my opinion, they wear better and are a more versatile tire. ive ran the maxxis and im running the duratracs now, and the duratracs are hands down THE best tire ive ever run on any of my vehicles. you cant go wrong with either of them though in my opinion.

Depending on how much your gonna see highway miles. If your gonna see more highway miles than offroad trail use, I'd go with the Goodyears. Maxxis has been in the offroad competition market for a good bit of time. The competition rig I sponsor runs their creepy crawlers with little problems.

Even though Maxxis is a sweet mud tire, I have actually pulled a good amount of mileage out of them on the highway as well. They do well even on new gravel surfaces with being multiply.

I also agree that I like Kumho too! I have a brand new set on my Sport, and they have been awesome in the mud as I have 30 miles of dirt road, and 35 miles of highway to travel each way every day, and they have been awesome!

Here's mine, I have DuraTrac's on mine with just shy of 12k miles on them and they aren't worn at all. They work awesome in the snow, mud, dirt and on the street...

picture.php

picture.php

thanks I was leaning on the wranglers or maxxis. Ive used bouth before but they were on my Bronco and I never really had an issue with it no mater the tire and I had it sunk (over hood) many times an usually made it out fine. but this one I want something thats realiable also. I think the wrangles are goint to be my best bet. I also got a quick of topic question to I need to add a steering extention if I do a 3in BL on my 96 XLT. I have always stuck to suspension work Ive never done a BL.

this is what im starting with. its the 4.0L but later i plan to do a 5.0L swap. I am thinking bout doing the solid axle swap but not sure yet. Ill keep yall posted its going to be a few months before I eeven get to touch the truck Im just trying to buy everything while im still deployed so I can start working on ith the weekend after I get home.
580317_429764733717460_237243872

ok so I found these they are a good price and my uncle has falkens and loves them. but im getting mixed reviews on this exact style. I hear for biger vehicles they suck but jeeps there fine. I havent seen any reviews for someone with an Explorer. does anyone know. (ps. im not able to get the wranglers at the moment but maybe later i will i want to know whats out there ifrst thanks.)
these are them Falken Rocky Mountain ATS
findTireDetail.do

Back