Need to unclog heatercore fast, no hose | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need to unclog heatercore fast, no hose

TheRookie

Traveling SAS guru
Reaction score
City, State
West Chester PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
I am in a condo and have no hose or anything. I took the core out and have been trying to run water through it to no avail. I am supposed to leave to go wheelin in the next few hours. Help please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you already have it out, just buy a new one. They all need to be replaced sometime.

Thanks for the idea. Yes I would love to just slap a new one in it right now. However All parts places are closed around here and i gotta get on the road. No heat is no fun and I need defrost as its snowing and icing here.

If you plan to replace the core very soon, there is one remedy that you might want to consider. Calcium buildups can oftimes be reduced using hot vinegar. The bad part is that it will permanently etch the metal surfaces in the core, thereby weakening them.

So, it's up to you how much of an emergency you are in at the moment.

CLR works very well too...

Yeah if you need heat, CLR that sucker, otherwise bypass it and bundle up :)

DONT use a Checker or Autozone heater core, they last for about 15K miles max..trust me I know. I finally bit the bullet and got a Carquest unit, about twice the size, fits better and has never leaked...

It is might be too late, but if you do decide to use chemical such as CLR or any acid solution to clean the heater core. The chance of it leaking on you is pretty high.

I'll stay away from Check (Kragen -California) and Auto Zone heater core. You can get Carquest at a very reasonable price if you find the store that is not company own. I've found a couple of CarQuest stores around my town. I figured they company owned store cost about 20-40% more then the privatly own one. You'll just have to ask the guy at the counter if they are privatly own or company owned. I guessed, the company owned have to send their big profit back to CarQuest headquarter.

you could try some liquid plumbr (making sure to rinse thoruhgly after use) ive heard their foam stuff works pretty good, and its safe for Aluminum (make sure to rinse THOUROGHLY after use so you dont get any residue in the rubber hoses.

My core got plugged last week. It was from Advance Auto Parts and only around 7 months old :thumbdwn:

From Ford it was about $81 :thumbdwn:

If things were that bad though, could you switch the hoses around in an attempt to break up the clog?

OK I am back from my trip and have goten it cleared. I basicaly dismanteled my shower head and rigged a hose from there. I have crazy water pressure so it worked out. Thanks for the ideas

Be grateful you have a 91. The heater core replacement in the 1st Gens is a 15 minute job. Now WHY couldn't have thre FORD engineers stayed with that excellent design? Ask the poor unlucky folks with later Ex's that have a multi hour job to even get to theirs! And thanks to the posts regarding the Carquest core! I bought an Autozone and may just replace it as a matter of course....esp if the Carquest is bigger! (I have 2 years on my Autozone and have been thinking I might be smelling antifreeze....time to pressure test it!

Back