Needle bearing inside of sprag disentirated but sprag looks ok!?!? (First time teardown/rebuild) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Needle bearing inside of sprag disentirated but sprag looks ok!?!? (First time teardown/rebuild)

sattech2000

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Stevensville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Good evening All!

Just pulled my tranny out of my 96 explorer 4.0 that lost all fwd gears but reverse still worked. I found a lot of metal shavings throughout the inside. I then realized the needle bearing that goes into the sprag is completely disintegrated (although the sprag looks good….possibly aftermarket even). Anything else I should look for concerning this failure? (Specifically talking about the needle bearing in the bottom of the pic disintegrated.)

I believe this tranny was recently rebuilt (Gaskets say transtec IIRC and I think there’s a date code on the torque convertor possibly 2013). I'll try to get pictures hopefully yet tonight. Everything that wasn't damaged from the disintegration looks almost brand new including the bands at the very edges where they start/stop. I haven’t taken apart the clutches yet and wonder if I even need to? Same thing with the pump?

I am really hoping to get a parts list together and an order in first thing in the morning in hopes of having Saturday for reassembly on Sunday. Any help on what and where to order from would be awesome! ( I've done numerous full engine rebuilds in my time so I have some ability although limited lol.) Also should I order the ATSG book for this tranny or will the alldata and the rebuild guide posted in this forum be good enough?

Is there any way of identifying what, if any, shift correction kits might have been done to the valve body? I can tell the separator gaskets also say transtec.

Obviously a full cleaning will be done, should I replace the torque convertor even though I'm fairly confident it’s almost new? Just not sure I could ever get the metal shavings out of it. (And will definitely flush the coolers and lines.)

I originally thought this was the 4r55e but I found a sensor on the center support and thought I remember hearing this was one difference the 5r55e had. Need to confirm for certain which tranny I have.

Attachments

• 5ed97d70.jpg
    5ed97d70.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 61

Back