Gearing up for A4LD rebuild | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gearing up for A4LD rebuild

whoops:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is this?

I am trying to identify the name of this piece. I assume it is some type of washer, but I am trying to find the actual name so I can get two. There is one on either side of the sprag on the output ring gear.

Attachments

• washer.jpg
    washer.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 208

That piece sits in the reverse drum at the back of the case and is the "bushing" the rear case rests against the back washer in the case. It is notorious for flaking and causing problems. Sonnax makes a replacement that is superior. There are two of them on either side of the rear sprag.

Thanks. The bag I pulled it from I had labeled the output shaft ring gear. One on either side of the rear sprag correct? I bought the thrust washer kit, but they are not included. So I need a part number or the actual part name so I can chase them down. I will look in the Update manual again. I remember them talking about it but don't remember a part number.

For some reason I can't get the boost valve out I removed the the L keeper but it appears that it is sticking on something else. I can push it in, but it always stops as if something was holding it.

I went back and finessed it a little bit and it came out. Sometimes it pays to take a break and come back to it with a clear head. This valve body is very clean, well the whole trans was really clean. I think I could have just installed it and it would have worked. Although there were a couple of washers with some irregular wear so it would have been a matter of time. Also, the manual valve indexer was already installed from the previous rebuild.

On another note, I need to replace the rear main seal on the motor. This should be doable wright? Also, can the oild pan come off with the tranny out of the way or will the crossmember still be in the way. While I'm down there I want to try and get rid of some oil leaks I have.

Got it thanks

Does anybody know how this lipseal installer works?

Attachments

• univ lip seal installer.jpg
    univ lip seal installer.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 183

I have this. You carefully insert this between the sensitive lip seal, and the outer metal where it comes into contact. After it's in place, you carefully move this in a circle to fully seat the lip seal. I have it for a while, but I haven't gotten around to trying it.

I would think you could use a dental type pick or scribe and do the same thing? I was talking with the lady at axiom and she said she heard of people using a cut up soda can.

OK I got a question. How long can this tranny sit after I put it together. I just don't want to cause damage to the clutches because it sat to long before I fired it up. I want to wait until December 12th. Thats when my wife is done with colledge until Jan and I don't have to take her to school while we share the VW.

Well I got what I believe is the last part I need so I can start the reassembly. I just got the sonnax sleeve for the center support. After reading Glaciers thoughts about the OD ring gear shaft.Since I am going to use my truck as a trail rig/daily driver I assume I should cut the pilot shaft off? What do you guys think? I really can't afford a catastrophic failure though so I need to play it safe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tranny is almost back together. The transfer case and exhaust are out. I'll have the tranny out tomorrow morning so I can run down to axiom and get my new torque converter. Man I hope this thing works. I am really glad I used stainless steel hardware to bolt up the headers and the cats. They havent been touched in 3 years.

Back