• Register Today It's free!

Nerf Bars installed

CDN_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
New Brunswick, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer LTD
I chose black nerf bars instead of chrome ones. I ordered these from Performanceparts4less.com. Brand is ARIES
Install was super easy, got a buddy to help me out and was done in just about an hour. No drilling required, simply bolt on into existing holes, designed for nerf bars or running boards.

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

Next will be rims, which should (if my offset calculations are correct) push the wheels out a bit further making them more flush with the body.

Stay tuned!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty Nice job Man!! Great Pics, good thing is your ride is black. I like the nerf bar idea, but it seems to reduce a little side clearance. Have you had any issues whatsoever?

I like it, just seems a little lift would do it justice even half an inch? Are you planning on doing this with the set of tires you'll be running?

It looks lower from the side now, but I looked under the car and the bars are just as low as the exhaust, which is the lowest part on this vehicle. So in a way they actually protect it.
I have no plans for a lift at this time and the tires I was gonna use were the original Hankooks.
I'm not planning on offroading other than pulling into a camp site or going onto a gravel road.

Oh wow thats good to have that protection for exhaust. I was looking for a more All Terrain tire and think the one I was looking at would give the overall diameter almost half an inch.

Did you use the 3" or 4" nerf bar?

Oh wow thats good to have that protection for exhaust. I was looking for a more All Terrain tire and think the one I was looking at would give the overall diameter almost half an inch.

Did you use the 3" or 4" nerf bar?

I got the 4" oval bars

Thanks for the pics! I've been holding out for the LUND nerf bars, but lately their products have been sub-par. Your bars look great, my wife is 5'0" so she needs all the help she can get climbing in and out.

Very nice. Have not considered them until now. I'm having the black trim on my Sterling Gray Limited painted to match. Wonder what the black nerfs would look like? Might have to mock one up this weekend.... Of course I could have the nerfs powder coated to match the the paint.....

Aries priced at $326.99, does that include a mount kit?

Very nice pics, I want to get the flat tube bars? Great job, looks great with the black paint. I purchased the White, so what do you think, chrome?

That is a sharp looking addition to your ride.

I am wondering one thing, it looks like a mud flap will no long fit behind the front wheel with the nerf bars installed. Is this true?

Then again, if a mud flap won't fit, will the nerf bar accomplish a similar task.

Thanks.

Man that's looks freaking great!!!

Been waiting to see someone with some running boards / nerf bars.

my wife is 5'0" so she needs all the help she can get climbing in and out.

I'm 5'8" and without extra effort I need to slide out of the seat to hit ground. I can either spend a year in China getting my legs lengthened or I can drop $327 and change on these. Stepping on the nerf would certainly reduce the wear on my seat leather.

they look nice but wondering...

how much does the entire setup weigh?
how many points does it bolt onto the car? just two at the ends?

It looks lower from the side now, but I looked under the car and the bars are just as low as the exhaust, which is the lowest part on this vehicle. So in a way they actually protect it.
I have no plans for a lift at this time and the tires I was gonna use were the original Hankooks.
I'm not planning on offroading other than pulling into a camp site or going onto a gravel road.

Very nice. Have not considered them until now. I'm having the black trim on my Sterling Gray Limited painted to match. Wonder what the black nerfs would look like? Might have to mock one up this weekend.... Of course I could have the nerfs powder coated to match the the paint.....

Aries priced at $326.99, does that include a mount kit?

Yes the mounting hardware comes with it. It's a simple bolt on. It has 2 bolts front and back plus a support arm that bolts onto the centre beam. Sorry I dont know the technical term. But it's pretty simple and very sturdy.

Altogether it doesn't weigh all that much. I would estimate it all to be about 35-40lbs, maybe 50, not sure (trying to guesstimate the weight as I carried it to my garage out of the delivery truck)

On a WHITE truck I would probably go with the chrome bars. I mean it all depends on how much you like chrome. I personally am not a big fan of it. Due to the black rocker panels I think black would look good still.

As for the mudflaps, I'm not sure how big they are but if you really wanted mudflaps I'm sure there is a way to get some on, even with the bars. They don't reach that far forward. I wouldn't count on the nerf bars to do the job of mudflaps though.

Very nice pics, I want to get the flat tube bars? Great job, looks great with the black paint. I purchased the White, so what do you think, chrome?

If you're keeping the other chrome accents (door handles, door blades, Explorer logo on lift gate) then I'd go with chrome for the bars, it'll compliment the other chrome pieces. I'm not a big fan of chrome, but I'm in a similar situation with our Explorer being silver. I don't think black would look bad, but chrome would be more complimentary. My only concern with the black is another person mentioned they didn't like how the black of their running boards clashed with the dark grey plastic trim that goes around the bottom of the Ex...so you might have the same concerns going with black.

Also if you're a fan of light bars (similar to a brush guard or push bar) that go on the front of the vehicle, think about what color you'd want that in b/c it should match the nerf bars.

Just ordered mine! Black.

Thanks guys for the info, I would really like to paint match the lower areas like Baxter did on his white x, but after putting the bill on a new x, I think I might go with chrome for the nerf bars, I think it will add a little class to the look with the other chrome ascents, but black would work also, ok I'm confused! Time to go to the Giants game, first tailgate from the x!

Lol If I had a white one I would color match the plastic parts and get chrome bars and black and chrome rims.

Does anybody know if the mudflaps work with these nerf bars or not?

CDN that's an idea, tax time for sure. The cheapest body shop price for painting the lower trim parts, was 2,300, so I'm still looking.

Has anyone really polished their 20" wheels more than the faculty did

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, never polished mine, just cleaned them. I mean I've only had the rig for a month now. Plus I already ordered new rims, which should arrive pretty soon!! :)

Back