neutral switch and backup switch problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

neutral switch and backup switch problems

nooberiffic

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Did a 4.0 swap and am trying to nail down the last few bugs. The back up lights dont work, and i'm having problems with the RPM's bouncing around from 1300-800 while coasting in neutral. I was told it could be the CTS (for the comp), but its brand new, and I seem to remember a similar problem with the 2.9L.

I pulled the backup light switch, and the dowel is still in there. So I checked to see if had power going back to the lights when in reverse (if the switch is setting). it wasnt. So I checked to see if i was getting power to the plug (that goes into the back-up light switch. I wasnt. So it there is most likely a problem with the plug coming out of the engine compartment.

The wires coming from what I think are the neutral switch (located at the top of the passenger side of tranny) were stripped and hanging free (solid green). There was a loose plug with blk/white white/black wires hanging loose, so I crimped some connectors to both and put them together. I am still getting the RPM drop, even after switching the wires around (L,L R,R and L,R R,L). I'm getting a key on engine off code of 67 (to do with neutral sensor).

So I figure the sensor is bad... BUT, the one shown on autozone
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...lterByKeyWord=neutral+witch&fromString=search
looks different than the one I pulled, and the one on my tranny does not seem to have a detachable pigtail.

Any idea's? Anyone have an extra neutral switch?
One note... I'm not sure if there is a dowel in the hole the NS goes too, like there is on the backup lights. I tried to get one to come out with a magnet like i did with the backup switch, but nothing came out...

any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First is it automatic or manual? You never stated witch it is but it sounds to me you swapped an manual in place of an automatic. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If it's an automatic it has a neutral safety switch that controls the reverse lights and only allows the car to start in P or N with the brake pushed.

If it's a manual then it just has a backup switch.

Thats my bad. Its a 1990 Ranger 5 speed. It came factory with a 5 speed. just the 2.9 was swapped for a 4.0 using 1991 Explorer harness and comp.
The back up switch is red, and its no getting power to the connector, so there is something else up. If 5 speeds dont have a neutral switch, I dont know what this other plug is... Its on the passenger side of the tranny, near the top. The wire routs over the top to the drivers side where the loose plug was. Im almost positive its a Mazda tranny. The ribs on the tranny are horizontal to the ground, not angled down like on the Mitsubishi.

Thats my bad. Its a 1990 Ranger 5 speed. It came factory with a 5 speed. just the 2.9 was swapped for a 4.0 using 1991 Explorer harness and comp.
The back up switch is red, and its no getting power to the connector, so there is something else up. If 5 speeds dont have a neutral switch, I dont know what this other plug is... Its on the passenger side of the tranny, near the top. The wire routs over the top to the drivers side where the loose plug was. Im almost positive its a Mazda tranny. The ribs on the tranny are horizontal to the ground, not angled down like on the Mitsubishi.

Yes, the Mazda CAN have a neutral switch on it. Not all of them had it. I've had 6 of them, only 4 had the switch.

do you have any pictures of it? Mine has two green wires coming out, that seem like they are part of the actual switch, not a plug, but the only thing they could plug into is a plug with blk/wht and wht/blk wires. Could be a difference in the year...

The ones pictured on autozone's website look longer and thinner than the one on my tranny. I think I used a 7/8th combination wrench to take it off. Is it supposed to have a dowel in the hole like the back up switch does?
Thanks guys..

My dad bought this truck new in '90, and it was built in late 89. He seems to remember that when the trans went out at 150,000 miles they replaced it with a Mazda. it may have been a Mitsubishi originally. not sure what they put on ones built in Nov '89

The autozone one is for the auto.

What your saying sounds right-- the switch is on the pass side. the 2 green wires run over to the drivers side and hook into the harness there.

Yes, the Mazda CAN have a neutral switch on it. Not all of them had it. I've had 6 of them, only 4 had the switch.

Whoops my bad I was just going by the info I learned when I was chasing my reverse light problem. I've never worked on a manual.

Just goes to show you can learn something new every day.

so is there a dowel in the hole, like there is with the back-up switch? My refrigerator magnet pulled the one out in the back up slot, but not in the neutral switch hole. That could be the problems, because my multi-meter says the wires are getting juice...

IMG_0013.jpg

Back