Neutral Tow Kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Neutral Tow Kit

Looking to tow my '99 Explorer XLS with manual transmission behind my motorhome. I understand I need the Neutral Tow Kit that switches the transfer case into neutral. Do I also need to reflash the PCM to enable this feature or is that just with the automatic transmission?
TIA

Did a search and got this answer off another forum.

"The neutral transfer feature consists of a light which is mounted on the bottom of the dash and plugs in to an extra wire that is connected to your dome lights. All the indicator light does is tell you when the transfer case is in neutral. The ECM must be re-programmed by your local Ford dealer to allow the transfer case to be put into neutral. The Ford dealer charged me 1/2 hour labor for the re-program and about $25-30 for the indicator light."

interesting, my truck came with that exact setup and was trying to figure out if it was factory direct or aftermarket....

Looking to tow my '99 Explorer XLS with manual transmission behind my motorhome. I understand I need the Neutral Tow Kit that switches the transfer case into neutral. Do I also need to reflash the PCM to enable this feature or is that just with the automatic transmission?
TIA

You don't need a neutral tow kit at all. Since a manual trans is splash-lubricated, simply put the trans in neutral and go.

If you really want to, there may be a neutral tow kit available for it, but IMHO, it's not worth the effort... It re-flashes the GEM, not the PCM, to enable to shift motor to stop the transfer case in neutral never-never land.

But again, for a manual trans, it's unnecessary.

Back