• Register Today It's free!

New 03 sub/amp suggestions

Blaylock

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
Hi, this is my first thread. I have an 03 Explorer with factory amp/sub and am looking to upgrade them. I want to be able to feel the bass without shaking all the cars around me. I am happy with the factory front and rear speakers, so I only want to upgrade the sub and amp.

My current head unit is a Pioneer DEH-P6800MP
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/CD-Players/DEH-P6800MP

Since I have the 3rd row seat and use it often, I am limited on space in the back. This is the combo that I am thinking of getting:

Kicker - CompVR 10" Dual-Voice-Coil 2-Ohm Subwoofer CVR102
800W peak (400W rms) @ 2 ohms
Alpine - 500W Class D Mono MOSFET Amplifier with Adjustable Crossover MRP-M500
500W @ 2 ohms
Atrend - 10" Single Sealed Subwoofer Enclosure for Most Trucks - Charcoal

There is a 400W Kicker amp but was $10 more and the reviews for the Alpine were a lot better too.

The total will be about $350 and I have to buy the wiring. I was sticking with Best Buy because I have a friend who works there and can get me 50% off all my stuff.

I think I may do my own installation, my friend and I put in the head unit and I am very good with my hands and mechanical stuff (pulling apart the dash, seats, trim/plastics), the wiring is pretty straight forward since I can just use some RCA cables to the head unit and run the power lines to the amp from the battery. I would like to leave the stock amp and sub intact (and working?) just in case I sell it and want to keep my new sub.

So, what do you guys recommend? Does the combo I am looking at seem ok? Does anyone have a write up or pictures of this? Thanks for any feedback!

EDIT:

So I was looking at some wiring diagrams. It looks like there is no way to wire up 1 DVC @ 2 ohms and use an amp at 2 ohms, I have to use an amp stable at 1 or 4. I will probably stick with the same amp and wire it at 4 ohms, I know I loose 100W but I don't think I will ever notice the difference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wiring, go with a kit from KnuKonceptz. You won't be disappointed, and the components are high quality.

For the sub, you could also try the Dayton RS series from Parts Express. They are VERY good drivers. I can attest to the 10" being excellent in only .75 PORTED. Yes, it is tiny, has good output, and dead on accuracy. They also have a slimline series with miniscule mounting depth (though I have no personal experience).

Wiring, go with a kit from KnuKonceptz. You won't be disappointed, and the components are high quality.

For the sub, you could also try the Dayton RS series from Parts Express. They are VERY good drivers. I can attest to the 10" being excellent in only .75 PORTED. Yes, it is tiny, has good output, and dead on accuracy. They also have a slimline series with miniscule mounting depth (though I have no personal experience).

Thanks for the suggestion on the Dayton RS 10", if that deal with my friend at Best Buy falls through, I may go with that one, I also found a good Pioneer amp to go with it. I also found a good cheap wiring kit with 8 gauge wire, on that site.

wouldnt 4 gauge wiring be better for the amp install ?

Well, it looks like I may not go with Best Buy. So I was thinking of getting this combo:

Dayton RSS265HO-4 10" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-462
and
Phoenix Gold RSd 600.1 D-class Amp + 4 gauge amp wiring kit
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_29854_Phoenix+Gold+RSd+600.1+-RSd600.1-+++Amplifier+Kit.html

Or I may just get something like this:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...Infinity+Reference+++Alpine+Bass+Package.html

And I found out a need a new blend door actuator YAY!
The one on Autozone carries is black and has the wire connector facing outwards instead of sideways, will that still work?

i like type r's idk much about the dayton stuff from but from looking at the specs they seem pretty good. and the package deal w/ the type r and infinity amp is ok. the wire kit is junk cuz raptor makes tiny ass wire. youd buy 4awg from them but it will actually be 8 or 10awg... id say a single 12 type r, alpine mrp m500, ported box, and 8 or 4 awg wiring kit.

I had a single 12" type r with a mrp-m500 and it hit really hard. I finally upgraded and got two of both. But the single type r sounded really good in my 05!

Ok, I decided I am going to go with the Alpine MRP M500 amp and, an a SWR1043D Type R sub in a sealed box with a 4 gauge amp kit. I am still shopping around to find the best prices, I want to keep the entire thing under $350.

Does anyone know of a good guide for where a good place to run the wires to the back? I am guessing the wires will go under the trim of the driver side doors to the back. I will look into it more.

Well I got the got the sub and amp and wiring kit from amazon.com and custom built my own box that fits perfectly behind the third row seat. I did all the installation myself and tuned it. The sound is perfect. The sub is probably more powerful than I needed but I am very happy. The order from amazon cost about $333 and I bought some 3/4 in thick MDF from Lowes for 32 bucks, my friend and I made 2 boxes from one sheet and still had lots left over.

I designed the box in such a way that the amp is hidden in a recessed area on the back of the box. I have tested it and the amp stays cool all the time so no worries about it overheating in its little space. I still need to finish the box with some grey automotive carpet and then I will be all done. If you want pictures just let me know and i'll post some.

I think this is an addiction because now I want to upgrade the door speakers and get a new head unit (I have an old Pioneer unit right now). I was looking at some of the new Pioneer Double DIN units. They look nice, but some have the iPod connection on the front which is very bad for me.

Back