• Register Today It's free!

new amp suggestions

auburnfan138

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn,AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS 4WD
alright guys one of my amps quit working (mrd-m301) so needless to say i need a new amp setup...

so the subs are 2 12" alpine type R...the older series (300w rms 1000w max) dual 4 ohm voice coils... my buddy has a p1000-1bd for sale for $300 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_57510001BD/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-P1000-1bd.html?search=fosgate+1000&ssi=0

so is this amp too much for my subs...it would be wired at 1 ohm sending 500 watts to each speaker...im kinda worried about that but the people at a local car stereo shop seem to think it will be just fine...

whats your opinion/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been out of Car audio for SEVERAL years, but I'll give you a free bump.

Be very warry about taking the word of "car stereo shop" employees. Some of these guys are fresh off the street and can give you some really bad info.

When I was into car Audio I always stuck with quality amps and under-powered my speakers. Clarity is what major car audio guys/gals look for, not just the shake the trunk power. I wish I could recommend some good amps, but from what I have seen quality name manufacturers have also been releasing garbage these days.

As for the Amp your buddy is selling try to talk him down on the price if it's used, you can find it on places like buy.com for $350.

thanx for the reply excali

the owner and his best installer were the guys who were telling me this but i know some car audio and i do know every manufacturers wattage are not calculated the same...but that is a very powerful amp, im just stuck right now lol

np, A couple reviews of that amp show it putting out nearly 3,000 watts max @ 1-ohm so it could possibly shred your speakers.

oh really? do you have that link? most i found was 2000 watts peak power

that amp in no way puts out 3000 watts.

That amp will be fine...that is why there is an input sensitivity adjustment to set the output of the amplifier in relation to the input signal

oh really? do you have that link? most i found was 2000 watts peak power

It was one of the search results on google when I browsed thru it. Can't figure out which one atm, I'll see if I can find it again. It could have said 2k as I was half asleep when I was reading it.

3825x1 peak.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575100...gate+1000&ssi=0&tp=115&tab=features_and_specs

Also, the voltage is a huge factor in power. If you were to put that amp on 18 volts, it would put out more.

peak power means nothing....that means how much power it will put out in a millionth of a second...which is nothing.

If you learn something about actual power and physics than you would know that peak power means nothing.

Go to the Rockford website there is no mentioning of peak power. RMS or continuous power is the REAL usuable power.

If you go to the Crutchfield site and mouse-over the "Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)" in the grid, a little pop up box comes up saying the same thing... just in a kinder way...

Lets not start this again, you said it "in no way puts out that much power" . I do know peak means nothing. I also know of many tricks companies use to inflate the "watts" of the amps they sell. However, I was saying that there is A WAY that amp could "Put out" that power or more. Secondly, I'm pretty sure Rf is cea compliant, I'm going to assume you know what that means.

I am trying to help the OP with understanding REAL ratings...peak power is a made up number that is not real usable power.

even with 16 volts or 18 volts the power output is not going to TRIPLE.

Doubt the user is going to spend the thousands to convert to a 16 volt system anyways.

Anyways...the amp will be just fine and will not overpower the subs.

IMO I would use an amp PER sub...I gave a single 12 inch Type R 1200 watts all day with no problems...even tried killing it with 10Hz tones full blast but after 5 minutes of straight tones it barely smoked but still kept on pounding. As long as the power is clean Type Rs will handle 1000 watts all day.

clean power is a MAJOR part of it. very important part. also after box rise i doubt your speakers will hardly see 1 ohm. so they wont be getting as overpowered as you think they will be

thanks for your comments aznboi

i think im going to get a memphis pr1000.1...found one used on craigslist for $180

it puts 1000 watts rms @ 1 ohm...

what amp were you putting 1200 watts into the type r...and were they the older model or newer model type r's

thanks again man

New models...500 watt rms rated ones.

I was using a Elemental Designs Nine.1 amp.

I used to have an older Type R years ago. Had it in a 1.5 cu ft sealed enclosure...off 300 watts that thing pounded and got LOW.

Never got to try it in a ported enclosure though. Good subs though.

New models...500 watt rms rated ones.

I was using a Elemental Designs Nine.1 amp.

I used to have an older Type R years ago. Had it in a 1.5 cu ft sealed enclosure...off 300 watts that thing pounded and got LOW.

Never got to try it in a ported enclosure though. Good subs though.

yea they've been great subs...

so 500 watts into the 300 watt subs should be ok?

what hertz level do you recommend setting the older type r's at...

youll be fine with the rockford amp or with the memphis...the memphis is a better/cleaner amp and is a great deal for the price.

make sure you get a good custom box for the woofers or you wont get any good results at all

No need to use the amp at its maximum. There is an input sensitivity knob. I wouldn't go over 300 watts with the older Rs...there is really no need to overpower it unless the enclosure is too small.

alright i bought the memphis amp for $150

but it goes into protection mode to, so i found out i had a sub with a blown coil and it was making the impedance on the amp go to about 0.4 -0.6 ohms...

so i have two options...

1. 1 15 inch memphis mojo (same guy i bought amp from) $200 in ported box

2. or just get 2 new 12 inch type r's for about $250 off internet

both would be 1000 watts rms @ 1 ohm

what would you go with?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

he said he would take 150 for the mojo and the box...

sounds like a steal to me...

anybody help me out with how itll sound in relaiton to a two sub setup?

Back