New 2002 Explorer XLT owner checking in with some questions! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 2002 Explorer XLT owner checking in with some questions!

Roadblock1945

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hi everyone! New 2002 XLT owner here! I spent a couple days reading before I signed up but I still have a couple questions.

First off, I have 130k on this beast.

The big question I have is this ticking sound I get around 2500~3000 RPM. From reading, it sounds like it might be something to do with the timing chains? How big of a deal is this. The noise is barely noticeable and only seems to do it under load, while I'm driving. If I park my XLT and rev it up to 2.5k~3k I don't really hear it but I notice it if I'm moving down the road. If the radio is on, or the A/C is on, I don't here it.

Secondly, the keyless entry panel on my drivers door. Can I arm the alarm from this panel? For example, I was going swimming out of sight of my XLT and I didn't want take my keys with me, I locked them in my center console, but I wanted to arm my alarm too.

I'm sure I'll have other questions but those are the two big ones I had. I came up with a list of things I should do to this SUV, tell me if I'm missing anything.

Things I still need to do:

1. Replace wires with factory Motor-crafts.

2. Fuel filter. Based on the rust on the cover etc, it's probably the original.

3. Change fluid in transfer case, front and rear end. Trans was rebuilt around 12k ago, came with paperwork but previous owner knows nothing about the cases so I assume they have not been done.

4. Air filter (going to get a K&N)

5. Replace rear wiper motor and arm. Motor is seized and the spline in the arm is stripped.

List of stuff I've already done:

1. Updated PCM.

2. Struts, went with Monroe Sensa-Trac Quick Struts

3. Brakes

4. Plugs, replaced with factory Motor-craft's.

Is there anything else I should add to my list of things I still need to do?

Thanks everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have any advice on your main two questions, were you lucky enough to get your passcode from the PO to use the keypad? I'm also guessing you have a 4.0?

Looks like you're off to a great start! Doing the front/rear/tcase is an excellent idea at that mileage and as you'll find they are easy to do. Front diff is 75w-90 conventional, tcase is general purpose ATF, and the rear depends on which diff you have back there.

I'd also recommend some liquid Sea Foam through your gas tank and some spray Sea Foam through your intake. If neither have been cleaned before it will do wonders. Also just before your first 5k oil change, if your oil is particularly dirty you might consider Sea Foam in your oil for a few miles before you change it. The oil in my 4.6 with 124k has gotten a lot cleaner than it was running when I bought it not long ago at 111k.

For the rear axle use 75W-140 synthetic. Front you can use 75W-90 synthetic.

Correct, what I meant to say is that if the rear isn't LS it doesn't need the additive. The spec on the front isn't synthetic so it is safe to save some $$ there although synthetic isn't ever a bad idea.

Welcome aboard Roadblock1945! :salute:

The security module contains the factory code for the keypad on the door. Check out this thread for locating the security module, thanks to Welli for a great write-up!!: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246957&highlight=entry+code

Here is info on the keypad. When you press the 7/8 & 9/0 buttons at the same time it locks the doors and arms the alarm. Let me know if you need the info for programming your own code:

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Hope this helps out! ;)

Roadblock - Not to put the fear of God into you but do a thorough search on that timing chain issue on this forum. I wish I had been a member of this forum before mine grenaded in my 02 SOHC V6 at around 126,000 miles. The result has been mind bending as I couldn't find anyone to work on it. The dealers in my area won't even warranty their work if they touch the timing chains/camshafts... although they told me they'd take my $2,500 to $3,000 to "take a shot at it". :)

I'd believe it would probably be worth it to get those serviced if you have a dealer that would warranty the work.

Good luck

Roadblock - Not to put the fear of God into you but do a thorough search on that timing chain issue on this forum. I wish I had been a member of this forum before mine grenaded in my 02 SOHC V6 at around 126,000 miles. The result has been mind bending as I couldn't find anyone to work on it. The dealers in my area won't even warranty their work if they touch the timing chains/camshafts... although they told me they'd take my $2,500 to $3,000 to "take a shot at it". :)

I'd believe it would probably be worth it to get those serviced if you have a dealer that would warranty the work.

Good luck

What did it sound like before it actually went?

I ask because a friend of mine seems to think it is the timing chain but he is saying it doesn't sound that bad yet. It only makes the noise under load and if the windows are up, you can't even hear it.

He tells me if it was super bad it would be making a racket like it was about to fall off.

Back