New 2015 strange smell | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 2015 strange smell

baggs3222

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum so this is my first official post but I've been browsing for a while now. I just picked up a 2015 Limited on Saturday and after I drove it several miles and got it heated up we noticed a very bad smell coming into the cabin via the HVAC vents when we stopped at a traffic light. Once we got moving again it went away only to come back when we stopped again.

Upon inspection after I parked it, the smell is coming from the engine bay and it smells sort of like burning plastic and burning oil mixed together. This is not a smell I remember from any other new vehicle and it was very unpleasant in the cabin. It only had 6 miles on it when I picked it up and appears to have sat on the dealer lot since it was delivered back in December or January (built on 12/18/2014).

I now have about 60 miles on it and the same smell still comes into the cabin when I stop at a light or stop sign. It isn't present until it's driven a few miles and the engine gets up to temperature. I looked for stickers on the exhaust and didn't see any and I don't see anything leaking nor do any of the visible fluid levels seem low.

Is this just the coatings burning off of the engine block and exhaust or is it something else I should be worried about? Normally when we lease a new vehicle, all Fords since 2005, they don't have this smell but we've never had one with only 6 miles on it either. I don't want to panic and take it to the dealer if it is something that will go away but having never smelled an odor like this in the cabin I'm a little concerned.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like new manufacturing burn off smells. Seals setting, coatings curing or burning off, protective coatings for transport that burn off. Unless you see smoke, i wouldn't be concerned and good time to take a long drive.

Yeah, I don't see smoke or hear any hissing from fluids dripping on hot parts. The smell is just something I've never smelled before so I guess I'll wait a little and see if it goes away.

Reading all the threads about smells around here makes it sound like exhaust is entering the cabin or something is leaking but I know what pretty much every leaking fluid smells like and it's not any exhaust I've ever smelled. Plus it sticks around a while after the engine is off and you can smell it under the hood and coming out near the cowl when you put your nose there.

Also, all of my drives so far have been less than 10 miles each. Will it burn off faster if I take a long drive maybe? I'm sure it's not an exact science but I'll do anything to get rid of the smell and get on with completely enjoying the vehicle because it is pretty awesome when you take the smell away.

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum so this is my first official post but I've been browsing for a while now. I just picked up a 2015 Limited on Saturday and after I drove it several miles and got it heated up we noticed a very bad smell coming into the cabin via the HVAC vents when we stopped at a traffic light. Once we got moving again it went away only to come back when we stopped again...

Welcome to the forum, baggs3222; congrats on your new Explorer! I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. Since you're concerned, go ahead and bring it by your dealership so they can inspect. Additionally, I'll alert your regional customer service manager. To make that happen, send me your information via private message (PM). Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

I had the same experience when I picked up my '15 in the fall. Odor was very strong after the first ~100 miles (1 trip). Odor went away after that and haven't smelled anything like it since.

Thanks Matt. Was it coming into the cabin via the air ducts or did you just smell it outside the vehicle? My biggest concern is that it's coming into the cabin when the heat or normal A/C are on. I haven't tried recirc A/C yet.

thats completely normal for a brand new car.

Never had any of these 'smell' issues when I picked up my 2011 Limited or my current MKT. The Explorer was a vehicle I ordered and the MKT was a 'showroom' vehicle. No hints of any smells at all.

Peter

Sounds like that new engine smell. My 14 altima had that smell on the outside..not in...after a few hundred miles it went away...coating that is on some engine parts that melts off after a bit

Peterk9's response is exactly what has me concerned. I've bought or leased 10 Fords over the past 13 years and none of them ever smelled like this that I recall. However none of them had only 6 miles on the pro before either. I think about 18 was the lowest.

The smell was more like a toasted marshmallow today after the drive home but still no signs of leaks or smoke.

Completely normal, it should go away after you drive it a bit.

errr ah, I would check your oil and all fluids.
Delivery should include all fluids including oil at the perfect level, a full tank of gas,
and no stains or spilage in the engine compartment. No sloppy joe's.

Not sure how they ship the vehicle but have read that some cars are not ready to be driven before purchase
except up & down a few ramps, and if they rushed ...well its good to check unless you have faith in your dealer.

Checked the fluids and they all look normal to me. It seems to be going away after driving it a while last night and I barely noticed it at all this morning.

When I was sniffing around the engine bay I noticed that the shroud over the actual motor is what seems to smell so bad. The only other shroud I've had is on our '14 Escape and it is hard plastic. This one is like a foam almost so I'm wondering if maybe that is the culprit. Time will tell.

Thanks for all the tips and reassurance folks. I'll report back if it turns out to be anything else that will be helpful to others.

We just picked up 5 - 2015 police explores and all of them had this smell

At just over 450 miles on the odo the smell is all but gone. My 120 mile round trip this past weekend took care of it.

Congrats on your new car. I have 2015 Limited also. no smells what so ever.

Back