New ac clutch or something else

Flashflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer 94 xlt
I realized today as I was sitting there idling at a drive through that my explorer was idling weird as I got home I pop the hood and realized my Ac clutch was cycling but Ac was not on could it be the clutch or something else just have it unplugged cause that fixed it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the heater mode lever is set to defrost, it will run the compressor regardless of other settings... it bypasses the AC panel switch.

Unrelated to your question... a cycling compressor is an indication that the Freon level is low.

So, moving the mode lever to OFF should keep the compressor from running. If you top off the Freon, the AC and defrost will work better when you use it, and the compressor will run continuously while using AC and defrost rather than cycling.

Well
If the heater mode lever is set to defrost, it will run the compressor regardless of other settings... it bypasses the AC panel switch.

Unrelated to your question... a cycling compressor is an indication that the Freon level is low.

So, moving the mode lever to OFF should keep the compressor from running. If you top off the Freon, the AC and defrost will work better when you use it, and the compressor will run continuously while using AC and defrost rather than cycling.
Well that sucks man I thought I had good original A/C in my truck now I have pay big money to get the A/C fixed

um why big money?
If the compressor is just cycling in indicates you are low in refrigerant. Not a huge ordeal or big expense.

The compressor should run full time when you are in defrost mode or AC or AC max settings

short cycling means it is building enough pressure to run and then pressure drops, so its shuts down....then pressure returns and compressor kicks back on

A simple AC leak test and top off should not be more then $100?

um why big money?
If the compressor is just cycling in indicates you are low in refrigerant. Not a huge ordeal or big expense.

The compressor should run full time when you are in defrost mode or AC or AC max settings

short cycling means it is building enough pressure to run and then pressure drops, so its shuts down....then pressure returns and compressor kicks back on

A simple AC leak test and top off should not be more then $100?
I would have to get A/C swapped over from r12 to r1234 that's what I mean

Back