• Register Today It's free!

New alternator not charging

2Forty

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, QC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT
So a month ago I bought a 2003 Sport Trac XLT and previous owner told me the alternator had been changed
The truck had an auto start when it's cold witch was faulty and 2 system to unlock/start the car, had to remove everything because even in the heated garage, the truck would start on its own
And there was another "special" system on the truck, the green/yellow wire from the alternator, plugged with the wiper motor, distributor and headlamp with a nice light that seemed to indicate that everything was working well in synch with the lamp auto shutoff
Since I removed all the systems, alt is not charging
I resoldered everything back in its place after my clean up
please help, when the truck is started I put the voltmeter on the neg of the battery and on the big wire of the alt, I have 12v and dropping quickly
Would the green/yellow wire be one for the voltr regulator inside the alternator?

Here's the amount of wire that was added to the truck:

20151212_221139_zpseie2a2p6.jpg

Does the BATT/CHARGE light in the instrument cluster come ON during the bulb test and go OFF once the engine starts? If not, the alternator will not "turn on".

Have you checked the mega fuse in the rear of the power distribution box?

Here's a link for free wiring diagrams. Use rrcc and rebsco to log in and select the auto reference manual section.

With the mess of stuff you removed, you need to get back to basics. If I remember correctly the wire going to the alternator from the BATT light is green and white.

It might be a good idea to remove the alternator and take it to be tested at the auto parts store to make sure you're not wasting time on a bad alternator.

http://search.ebscohost.com/

Looking at the wiring diagram at a quick glance there are also multiple fusible links to check.

Thanks for your input!
Tried new alternator, same problem
The BATT light doesn't come on during the test, tried to find the megafuse but no luck
Here's to what the GREEN/RED wire (i was wrong for the color my bad) on the alternator was connected to:
Distributor: White/orange
Wiper motor: Red
Headlight: Blue/green
(have to make sure but I think it's all wires with 12v power)
That system was not connected in any way to the three starter systems inside the car

Alternator connections: I had 0.2v on the Green/red wire and 12v on the yellow wire and the post had 12v as well, took a wire, connected back on the red wire from the wiper motor and to the alternator, now it's working like a charm but i don't like bypass
Where do i look to solve the problem properly?
Thanks a lot!!!

It's the light green and red wire (not green and white) that goes to the BATT light on the dash. When you turn the key to the ON position power flows to the BATT light (via fuse #6 ) and the voltage regulator makes the ground to turn the BATT light ON. When the engine is started the ground for the BATT light is supposed to be broken by the voltage regulator located on the back of the alternator, which turns the light OFF. As I stated earlier, if the BATT light doesn't work the alternator will not charge. Look to the wiring diagrams to solve your problems.

Back