New Auto Radiator on a 5spd standard | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Auto Radiator on a 5spd standard

Radiator Auto Tranny cooler on a 5spd

• Seal it off

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Leave it open

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use as a PS cooler

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

atlranger

Reaction score
I just had to replace the radiator in my Ranger yesterday as it froze overnight and cracked the plastic sides (Yes I know run a higher ratio of coolant). :banghead:Anyways the replacement i got from O'Rileys was had the auto transmission cooler in it and I have a 5spd. Do you guys know if I can leave ot open the the elements (I am concerned about corrosion as it looks like metal in the cooler) or should I seal it with plugs (Worried about thermal expansion in the sealed off space).

I was thinking using it as a PS cooler as mine had ripped off and I never replaced it.

Any other idea's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Auto is thicker, and your fan clutch is different becasue of that. And since your fan/clutch assembly is different, your 5 spd. fan shroud won't fit. They are different.

Your BEST BET is to get the 5 spd one.

Ryan

Actually other than the internal cooler for the tranny it is identical, and it fit like a glove. The truck at the right temp without issue right now. I think the 3.0's run pretty cool anyways as it is only a thin single core radiator.

I would be a bit more concerned about my engine and heater core. If you froze hard enough to break a radiator, you might have some serious problems.

I had about 10% antifreeze in it, after pulling it out I could see better what happened, the plastic tank on the drivers side had cracked, I don't believe it was directly due to a heard freeze as the water in the overflow was more slush than block. I am thinking what happened is the slush clogged the system, over pressurized it and the tank failed. I ran it to and from work and around for lunch and it is not leaking at all now. The freeze plugs look good but I think I will pick up a heater core next time I am at the junkyard to just have on hand. Maybe a hose connector also to bypass it if it lets go while I'm out.

you can plugf the holes or use it as a ps cooler, i ran my 5 speedc truck with the 2 core auto trand radiator for years before I finally converted to an automatic

the fan has nothing to do with the radiator? people are weird.....

Once you thaw out your truck and flush the cooling system this time use 50-70% antifreeze and the rest water, in CO winters I go 70/30 because it was -12 last week
When you run it check for leaks around your engine and at the heater core.

if it gets really cold where your truck is at consider a dipstick style plug in heater

Back