• Register Today It's free!

new color in dash

killswitchfan134

Reaction score
City, State
Brick NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 sport
has any one ever changed the color of the gauges without putting that new indiglo panel in? I.E. putting different color bulbs behind the gauges?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt a color bulb will change the gauge color as the bulbs are clear and the gauge is tinted green.

I think there are several members here that have done just that, by using led's and sometimes gauge/cluster swaps with the white-faced Sport clusters.

I doubt a color bulb will change the gauge color as the bulbs are clear and the gauge is tinted green.

wow i did not know this
well if the tint is changed to a difrent color then there is no need
for all the led buying and cable routing i have seen people do?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1657687&postcount=9
ExplorerGaugesLED.jpg

Some may have a plastic film covering the bulb while others may have the color on the back of the guage faces or overlay. Open yours up and see. BTW we love pics here ya know.

i am playing around with an extra cluster right now, and it is possible to sand off the color backing on the gauges. after doing this sometimes people buy colored scotch tape and put a layer of it behind where they wanted it to show(especially on the needles). I was also under the impression that a whiteboard marker might work. *** if you plan to take off the gauge covers be very careful in seperating it from the cluster itself. Do not use heat because the covers will warp and then never sit right again***

if you paint them, be very careful! i did that with mine, and they turned out looking like crap because of it streaking (it looked good if you held them up to a light, but once it was together it was a hole different ball game). if were to do it again (i now have a indiglo cluster cover with flames) i would just scratch the factory coating off the back, and use l.e.d. in the cluster.

Back