New Dog leg time

TheRookie

Traveling SAS guru
Reaction score
City, State
West Chester PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
Well my 91 is cursed with the rusting dog leg problem. I found a place that had new ones for about 35 bucks each. So, Any of you replace yours? Do you have any tricks to remove the old ones? Any reacurance of rust?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd really like to know as well. I'm in the same ole rusty dog leg situation.

KevinK

WOW 27 views and no one has done this yet?? I will be sure to post the results and the process.

OK so few have done this. If you are in South Eastern PA area LMK. I will be doing mine next saturday if all goes well. I will have a rental WELDER so if you want to come by we can work out the use if you need to weld something. PM me if interisted.

I let Macco replace mine. They cut the metal out, replaced the metal, and painted it for $168.00. A few months later a small spec of rust reappeared due to the metal/weather condition. They replaced this for free. Good Luck!

MAACO????? I will uhm, avoid them at all costs. nothing personal

I need to do the same thing but all I have found is the full rocker panel. Could you tell me where you found them? As far as replacing them, I would cut out the rusted area longer than where the new one would match up and then grind a little at a time until you get a nice butt fit, then weld. Thanks.

Dead Link Removed

dogs leg

I don't know your miles, but I got mine replaced thru the dealer under their rust-thru warranty. Luckily I had 99,9 at the time. Had to replace both rocker panels shortly afterwards though. I think Ford knew of the severe rusting problem, but like any other non-safety item, they don't publish a recall for cosmetic problems. Usually, if your problem is severe enough, they'll take care of it and possibly just charge a deductible of $50 to 75 dollars. Best bet is to check out other vehicles similar to yours, and if you see the same problem contact the dealer to see if they can help you out with the repair. Sometimes, but not always, this works.

DOGS LEG II

Note: When attaching a replacement rocker panel to the horizontal part of the dog leg, make sure the seam is properly fitted and welded, or the seam will tear and crack with body twist afterwards. Believe me, I had to redo mine on one side.

AH thanks fireftr. I still havent done this yet. I have been putting it off due to snow. I am at 114,000 miles. ah well I wish the previous owner knew about that one.

Back