New Double Din HU with factory subwoofer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Double Din HU with factory subwoofer

ROBinGa

Reaction score
City, State
Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6
I just installed a Kenwood DXP501BT unit and with my wiring harness from Metra was also included a Metra part AVPI-5V converter which goes between the subwoofer connector harness and the receiver harness and prevents the subwoofer popping when the unit turns on. I made a mistake of thinking all 4 of the Blue/White wires were connected together but upon closer inspection saw my mistake where a Blue/Red wire from the 12 to 5 volt converter part AVPI-5V gets connected with one of those Blue/white wires (the one from subwoofer specific harness and then the other two Blue/White are connected separately. The subwoofer popping is totally eliminated now.

You don't get that little click, around 20 hz, from the lack of a proper ground for the audio connectors to the sub on the Metra kit? The outside pin of the RCA's aren't grounded properly. I had to run a line to the common on the HU to cancel mine.

I don't know about any other noises. Once I followed the complete instructions from Metra and Crutchfield install notes it seems to be wired so that there is no issues now.

This issue also happens for some reason if you put the line input converters pre-amp on the older Explorers.

Usually just a messed up wire, bad ground or wrong connection.

Back