• Register Today It's free!

New exhaust for the 1996 5.0 AWD.

Licto

Reaction score
City, State
Northwest
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 5.0
Hello all, just taking a moment here to say hi.

Currently drive a stock 1996 5.0 AWD XLT. Bought it brand new back in the day.

Recently I have been thinking about the exhaust and some motor stuff I may get to later. Its dead slow...... Still runs perfect, just dosent have any umph. 142K..... not bad for its age.

Would like to consider the ceramic headers, couple of new cats, some type of device to over ride two of the O2 sensors. Would also like to get your advice on going dual exhaust or stay with the Y into my magnaflow.

Trying to put together a laundry list of device you all might recommend.

Regards, Licto

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Two words:

Torque Monster

Search the archives. Only real header option.

Welcome to the site.

Little more info........

First and foremost I would like to keep the truck as a daily driver. Would like to get some recommendations on a drop in replacement engine that would have around 250 to 300 HP. Would like to use every stock item in the engine bay if possible. Heads, Intake..... just hook everything back up.

My engine curretnly has 4 Cats..... would like to get some details on system that will allow me to run only two. 2 O2 sensors before the cats, couple of high flow cats, then 2 O2 sensors after the new cats. Do I need some type of chip or bypass device to hook up to the rear two O2 sensors to fool the computer or do you think the cats will do a good enough job to mimic the four cat setup on the engine right now.

Thanks for the help.

Licto

Best way to improve the power is swap out the AWD to 4x4. I have an AWD and its convenient in snow or light offroading, but it sucks a lot of power out of the drivetrain and does not have a true low range for steep climbs/decents. Getting true 2wd power to the rear only will be night & day difference in performance with your current engine.

Back