New exhaust

Craigerz

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 4x4
Well I put on my new exhaust finally. I went with dual Thrust turbos. Sounds nice and quiet enough for me. However..... They hang way too low for my liking. So I found a deal on a Thrust 2.25 dual in/dual exit that will just be flat.

What exactly is the benefit of dual exit mufflers vs dual in single exit? I'm just turning them down right in from of the axle. Oh, and I'm not talking about dual exhaust vs single. Just a single muffler with dual exits.

http://www.thrushexhaust.com/thrush-welded-muffler-dual-offset-dual-offset-17637.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks. Appearing like you have duals.

Being a dual in dual out muffler, it will be a true dual exhaust. Hopefully there is a blend chamber inside the muffler to act as an X pipe dealio

dual exhaust is mainly a cosmetic-symmetry-OCD thing at this flow level. one 3" tailpipe will equal the flow of 2, 2.5" pipes. The factory used one 2.5" pipe, and you can bet they were trying to squeeze every bit of economy they could, within reason. Fleet economy average ratings were in effect at this time.

If you get the spare tire mounted somewhere else besides under the truck , it won't get in the way of a dual exit exhaust. With oversize tires the driver side exit pipe will almost touch if it is mounted underneath. I did not care for this myself but others have ran with it.

I do want to hear how that muffler sounds when you are finished. I always liked that brand.

Oh, and please, please, do not turn down the tips under your truck. It will cause brain damage. These trucks leak stuff into the hatch like you would not believe. CO will get in and hurt you. No ifs. This is certain. All the way to the rear with angles outward and down.

What about side exit? I don't have the tools to bend the pipe over the axles so I'd have to take it somewhere. My F-150 is turned down in front of the axle but I guess that's still along way out from under the cab.

How about using something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Walker-54395...76994&sr=8-2&keywords=ford+explorer+tail+pipe

The exhaust shop in a small town close by will run a dual exhaust setup from manifolds back, with muffs for around 225 bux. They will do a dual in single out with the added unmentionable delete for around 175. All new tubing.

Surely someone around there would be competitive to that. Since you already have the muffler(s) it should be very reasonable.

Definitely get the tail pipe(s) to run out from under the body. At this age there may even be body seams that can let air in or out, the seam sealer in there gets very hard with age, shrinkage opens up gaps. I found several places along the side near the back doors, under the rugs where the wiring is, which had gaps you could see down through, to the ground. I noticed them because there was some dust/dirt coating in those areas under the rug. I used RTV to seal them up, and they were clean and dry the last time I was under there.

FYI, here's a chart that shows the general area of exhaust piping. The area of a single 3" pipe(6.49 sqin) is just a little less than two 2.25" pipes(7.10 sqin). The stock pipes are 2.25", and only about 2 1/8" at each of the weld joints(at the collector, the cats, the muffler inlet and exit, plus two at the resonator).

Exhaust pipe flow chart.JPG

Well the mock up...

IMG_0989.JPG

Back