Do I *need* a dual exhaust system? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I *need* a dual exhaust system?

jseabolt

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limted V8
Hope this question doesn't sound stupid but here goes.

I'd like to put a good sounding muffler on my 5 liter Explorer. Nothing loud, just something that let's people know I have a V8 under the hood when I stomp it.

But here's the deal. Do I need to install a dual exhaust system with turbo mufflers before it will actually sound like a V8? Or would installing something like a single Flowmaster in place of the stock muffler give me the same effect?

By the way, how much power would you actually gain with a dual exhaust system versus what's on it now?

One more question. I had duals installed on my 68 Fairlane with turbo mufflers. It sounds sweet but they did not install a crossover pipe. Some guy at work told me if a crossover pipe was not installed it would make the car run like crap. Well it doesn't. What exactly does a crossover pipe do and is it really nessessary?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't need dual exhaust. I installed a Magnaflow on my 5.0 this weekend and it sounds great..not obnoxiously loud, but you can definitely tell when you get on it that it's an 8. Magnaflow and Flowmaster both make dual in/single out mufflers that'd fit the bill pretty well. I also removed my resonator because it was starting to look pretty sad, so I'm not sure what kind of effect that has on the sound.

You don't need dual exhaust. I installed a Magnaflow on my 5.0 this weekend and it sounds great..not obnoxiously loud, but you can definitely tell when you get on it that it's an 8. Magnaflow and Flowmaster both make dual in/single out mufflers that'd fit the bill pretty well. I also removed my resonator because it was starting to look pretty sad, so I'm not sure what kind of effect that has on the sound.

Was this a direct replacement fit muffler? Where did you get your Magnaflow from?

Advance Auto and Summit has some good prices on performance mufflers (like$69) but I'm not sure if they are generic or direct fit units due to the photos. I'd like to have one I could install myself without much fuss.

I've got a Flo Pro muffler, 2.5" pipes from the cats back, Magnaflow SS rolled tip, no resonator and best part....Torque Monster Headers. It sounds every bit a V8 without being obnoxious. Flo Pro mufflers are a challenge to find Stateside (Canadian Company), but I was at a shop in Waukesha, WI this summer that recommends Flo Pro over all US "well known" brands including Flowmaster and Magnaflow. They're well made, flow great and can be as mellow or as loud as you want them to be.

I used to have an aftermarket resonator as well which I had removed after the headers were installed. Definitely quieter with a resonator, especially in the cab. I get some drone in the cab, but it's not bad.

Dual exhaust is more about look and less about performance on our V8s. Many applications I've seen involve ditching the spare tire. I had a tire incident this summer in rural Wisconsin. I would have been hooped without a spare and won't care one of the roof either.

Check out this thread for all you'll ever need re: 5.0 exhaust.

Was this a direct replacement fit muffler? Where did you get your Magnaflow from?

Advance Auto and Summit has some good prices on performance mufflers (like$69) but I'm not sure if they are generic or direct fit units due to the photos. I'd like to have one I could install myself without much fuss.

The magnaflow I bought wasn't a direct replacement, it was just one of their standard weld-in units. I picked it up from a seller on eBay. Wasn't too much trouble to get it installed, but if you don't have access to a welder I wouldn't recommend it. I also removed the OEM resonator at this time and replaced it with a piece of pipe. As celly mentioned, there's a little bit of drone in the cab, but nothing id consider unpleasant.

I would also like to know if the crossover pipe is necessary for the true duals.

Back