New Explorer owner, looking for help and ideas! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer owner, looking for help and ideas!

dysfunkshun

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
I recently purchased a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 2WD, and am quite the fan of it so far! Ive made a few light mods already and done some service, but have a couple small things that are kinda bugging me that I thought I'd ask for help with.

First, and I think the possible largest, is some rough shifts mainly between 2nd & 3rd and 3rd & 4th. Its auto, and soon as I got it I got the tranny flushed and a new filter installed. It ran smoother for a couple days, but came right back. Its on about medium pressure on the gas that causes the rough shifts, if i barely accelerate, it seems ok.

Second, is a clicking sound coming from the drivers side rear cargo area, where what appears to be the blower for the rear ventilation system is. It only makes the noise when the rear system is turned on, and gets louder with the air speed. Its not the blower itself, but above that, I just dont know what I need to order or replace and how much I need to disassemble to get to whatever parts i need to.

As far as my mods go, most has been on the lighting, putting new 6 SMD LEDS throughout the interior, 5 SMD LEDS in the puddle lights, 5 SMD LED turn signals inside clear corners with black background, and 8 SMD LEDS in the high mount brake light. I went and got the black tail light paint and painted all 3 black to match. And finally, it had a Pioneer Avic-N1 already in it, but I got a Pioneer Avic-Z2 with the Z3 upgrade, and am about to sell that for the new Pioneer Appradio 2 whenever that comes out. Mainly want to utilize the in dash OBDII scanner and diagnostics!

Thanks in advance for any help, and feel free to ask any questions of me as well!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heres a few pics after I finally gave it a wash today!

IMG_20120327_113924.jpg

IMG_20120327_113948.jpg

IMG_20120327_113940.jpg

IMG_20120327_114006.jpg

IMG_20120327_114013.jpg

CIMG0387.jpg

nice, i think you are going to enjoy this forum. there are plenty of people who will be happy to answer any questions you have on your particular X.

Thanks BigRondo, that was my problem! Now to figure out the tranny...

Back