Dashboard Light help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dashboard Light help

nick777

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
So a few of my dashboard lights went out and i ordered some of these to replace them with, 194 168 T10 5-SMD LED Blue HID Light Wedge Bulb.http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-194-168-T10-5-SMD-LED-Blue-HID-Light-Wedge-Bulb-New-/250848802428?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a67c0f67c

i just got them today and i tried putting one in my license plate lights because those were out too but these new leds did not light up. I dont want to take the entire dash apart and find out that the bulbs wont work in the dashboard.

Any ideas as to why they wont work in the license plate lights and will they work in the dashboard?

Assuming you moved them around a bit and played with them? I know when I put mine in, they didn't work, so I plugged it in the other way and they fit nicely. Kinda hard to explain, but at least with mine, there is a certain way they plug in, so if one way doesn't work, take it out and "flip" or "spin" the bulb so the base plugs in differently so to say.

Or, check if the housing is even holding the bulb. Sometimes the older bulbs stretch the little metal pieces inside and you need to take something like a flatblade screwdriver and bend them back to hold it in tighter. Make sure before poking around you shut off the lights. That's pretty important and possibly dangerous.

Sorry for the not so professional terms, but in short, just play around a bit and make sure the little metal pieces inside are actually holding the bulb. My LEDs were kinda fussy like that.

Back